The Little Wins

Jonah in his seat and watched on as he was given the most boring lesson in his entire. Umbridge had somehow managed to beat out Binns that was saying something. There was going to be no practical work his year, just theory. Ninety percent of defense against the dark arts was using spells to defend against the dark arts. Umbridge had to go, no matter what it took she had to be thrown out of the school. She was completely shitting on all magic to him. Hell, he'd remove her himself if it came to it.

"So Jonah, what's with you and Pansy Parkinson?" Dean Thomas said coming up to him as he was walking through the halls. "Oh, we're-" He thought for a moment. " Getting closer, it's nice to talk to new people," Jonah explained. "Really I thought she was a total asshole." Dean refuted. "She's changed a lot during the summer," Jonah said smiling to himself. Pansy really used to be way meaner, like she was a full-on bully. Since her behavior in the last four years, she's really improved. Sure she could still be a bit mean, but she didn't bully anyone like before.

Jonah was walking after classes had ended to a room where he held the club he had made. It was a club for muggle music. The club mostly consisted of muggle-born students. They discussed music that had been released recently and the room they used had a piano inside for members to play. Jonah was put into piano lessons at a young age at the request of his mother. He was in lessons from the young age of 5 to the time he started at Hogwarts. He has started the club two years ago as a way for students who still had a love for muggle music to stay connected with it.

"Jonah!." It was his favorite second year. Last year Jonah introduced her to Queen and ABBA. She preferred ABBA more but still appreciated Queen. "Diane!" The two joined in a tight hug. Diane was like a little sister to Jonah. Jonah had an actual brother that was back home, but Diane was his school sibling. "How was your summer?" "It was perfect! I and my family went to Italy and we saw the coliseum, and the leaning tower and Pisa and then we went to Venice. It was amazing." The young girl ranted. Jonah chucked at her energy. He thought back to how he was in his second year. He was just like Diane. He was full of energy and over-excited. " I'm very happy to hear you had a nice summer holiday. Personally, I barely did anything this summer, I just hung out with my brother and listened to music. I made some too." Jonah had written a few songs over the summer on the piano at his house. He didn't think anything of them though. "Now, let's wait for the other members."

The list of every student in the Record Club was as follows:

President, Jonah Lawrence

Albie Nicolson
Colin Creevey
Gwen Lyon
Diane Wayne

They were a small club but they really appreciated music. " Alright, who wants to listen to Nirvana today?" Jonah heard a lot of yeses before taking the 'Nevermind' CD he had and putting it into the boombox he had brought from home. He pushed play before the album's first track 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' began to play. Jonah had no idea they liked the song as much as they did. Make no mistake Jonah liked Nirvana and he liked Smells Like Teen Spirit but not to the extent the younger members of the club he ran did. He was more of a Come as You Are Guy.

After his club meeting, it was around five. Dinner was in an hour so he had a bit of time to kill. He walked down the corridor before bumping into someone by accident. His head was down while he was walking so didn't get to see who it was. " Oh, I'm sorry-"

It was Hannah. There right in front of him was Hannah Abbott. The girl whose heart he'd broken. "Hannah, it's been forever-" "I don't wanna hear it, Jonah." " Please can we just talk about what happened, because we both need our closure? I didn't mean to hurt you." Jonah says apologetically.

The pair sat down on a stone bench in a courtyard to finally address the past. After the events of last year, there was a lot of miscommunication that led to their break up and not just the Yule Ball incident, that was just the boiling point of it all. " So first of all how've you been?" Jonah asked sheepishly. " Pretty fine. What about you?" "I've been Good." " Let's get to the point Jonah because you love to avoid your issue and deflect." Jonah hung his head before speaking. " I know and I'm working on it and so sorry for that night. I ran away because I was scared that night. I was scared of my feeling for you and how you made me feel and it was so new to me." Jonah said, tears brimming in his eyes. Hannah was silent a moment before speaking. " Why didn't you tell me? We could've worked it out together." Hannah said quietly. " I don't know."

"I still have so much love for you, I want us to still be friends after this. Not even friends, I just want us to have a decent relationship." Jonah said. Jonah deeply regretted not explaining himself to Hannah. She was right, he tended to try to run from his issues instead of facing them head-on.

After the two got some type of closure, around forty minutes had passed. " I'll talk to you another time Hannah, I've got to get to dinner," Jonah said before jogging off.

Jonah took his seat next to Harry Potter at the Gryffindor table. Now what Jonah thought of Harry is that he was cute and the least annoying of his friends. He looked a lot like him that was something he found kind of funny. They both had green eyes but in different shades. Jonah's were paler and Harry's were emerald green. They both had dark curly hair and around the same skin tone.

Jonah had happened to find out he was bisexual that summer. He hadn't told anyone yet. He was the only one that knew. At first, he thought he was just flat-out gay, but he still retained an attraction to women. He had done a bit of research and found out that people could be bisexual. Jonah had a kind of crush on Harry Potter. It wasn't a full obsession that people describe crushes to be like, but he acknowledged that if Harry were to ask him out he'd immediately say yes. Jonah was wondering if he was being a bad person having these thoughts. He and Pansy weren't even dating and he felt a need to be loyal to her.
Later after dinner, Jonah was walking out of the great hall before he eyed Pansy. He quickly ran up to her tapping her shoulder. She quickly turned around angry before softening her expression. " Oh, Jonah it's you. How did your classes go?" "They went pretty well. Can I talk to you somewhere private?"

The two had snuck out of the castle opting to sit on a grassy hill near the gamekeeper's hut.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Pansy asked out of breath from running up the hill. " I talked to Hannah." A pang of jealousy went through Pansy before she responded. " About what? Does she hate you?" " No, not anymore. We talked about what happened that night and why I ended up leaving without her." "Well that shows that our plan is working, look she's already in love with again," Pansy said. Jonah smiled before speaking again. " I guess it is working, not too long before Draco dramatically confesses his undying love for you. It'll be like this " Oh Pansy, how I love you." and then he'll drop to the floor overcome with love." Jonah said, messing with her. "Stop it, you idiot." Pansy said hitting Jonah on the should and laughing, " Don't act like you don't love it." Jonah said teasing her. "Love you, never," Pansy said. " We'd better get back inside before people start looking for us," Jonah said, beginning to rise from his seat on the grass.

"Where were you mate?" Ron said as he walked into the common room with a smile on his face. " Oh, I was with Pansy, why what happened?" "Nothing just asking why you were out so late."

Jonah went to bed with the hugest smile on his face. He had reconciled with his ex, then proceeded to have a conversation about it. He loved the small wins in life like these.