Part One

When Eddy told him he liked boys, Brett honestly didn't think much of it. Eddy was still Eddy, and there was nothing to talk about.

That was, at least until his best friend actually got himself a boyfriend.

His name was Mark, he was slightly taller than Eddy and much taller than Brett, better built than Brett, more handsome than Brett, smarter than Brett, and overall better than Brett, and Brett had no idea why he felt the need to compare himself.

And he was worried. He was worried because he'd begun hating the guy from the very moment he'd met him, even though Mark hadn't done anything wrong to him. And yet, every time he touched Eddy, smiled at Eddy, or was in Eddy's presence, Brett felt like throwing a right hook right in that perfect jaw of his. He didn't even care if he'd damage his delicate violinist hands. And Brett was worried because there was only one natural conclusion.

He was homophobic.

Not willingly, somehow internally, but still, homophobic. He blamed it on his upbringing, culture, and lack of many friends from the LGBTQA+ community. So it became his mission in life to get rid of it, heal himself, or whatever was going to happen so that he could enjoy his friend's happiness in peace.

With this newfound determination, he opened the door to the dorm room he shared with his best friend...

...who was just hugging Mark at the waist.

They both looked at him and Brett could only say, "Oh, I'm sorry," and closed the door again.

He was wrong. He wasn't ready yet because he was currently imagining himself with an ax approaching Mark and chopping off his... Brett sighed. It had to end.

***

"Hi."

"Hi..."

Eddy placed the books he had been holding in his arms on the table and sat next to him.

"I rarely see you in the library. Have you finally decided to start learning?" he asked with a smile, and Brett just rolled his eyes.

"Yeaah, shocking."

Surely he couldn't tell him that he didn't want to go back to the room because Eddy was there with Mark?

"We saw each other earlier, but you ran away quickly," his friend remarked and laughed.

Brett noticed that he was trying to cover up his nervousness and felt guilty. Eddy probably thought Brett was disgusted with them, which apparently was true, no matter how much he didn't want to believe it. But he couldn't let that affect Eddy. He had to at least try.

"You know, I don't know what you were doing alone in the room. Maybe you wanted some time for yourselves," he joked and wiggled his eyebrows in a funny way.

Eddy laughed again, this time without nervousness, and that was reward enough for Brett.

***

"That was fantastic!" Mark shouted and started clapping as Eddy finished playing the sonata.

Brett didn't believe himself, but he felt like he might even sacrifice his violin if it meant smashing it on Mark's head.

Firstly, Eddy didn't need approval from someone who knew nothing about music. Secondly, it was terrible, although Brett was sure he couldn't have played it better because the piece was damn hard.

"Thanks," Eddy said, then exchanged glances with Brett. They both burst out laughing.

Ah, at least at that he was better than Mark. He had fucking ears.