Part Eleven

It had been a full two hours before Eddy returned to their room after the meeting. Brett had managed to do many things during that time, like eat something, brush his teeth, comb his hair, start doing one homework only to finally abandon it and practice the violin. And then his friend/crush came back and Brett was ready to drop everything.

Eddy looked barely alive. Did it mean bad news? Or good news?

"I've just remembered I have a rehearsal for a uni project today," he informed him and sighed. "So unfortunately I have to go. We'll talk later, okay?"

Brett was disappointed but tried to be understanding. He just needed to know one thing.

"And... how's Daniel?"

Eddy had picked up his violin case and was now rummaging through the pockets of his jacket which was hung on the hook, but he sighed deeply again at the question.

"I broke up with him," he confirmed, and Brett felt relieved. "But it..."

"What? Did something happen?"

"Well, he said he understood but he looked like he was on the verge of tears. I felt like the biggest asshole in the world, you know."

Brett wasn't sure how to comment on that. He still felt guilty. After all, Eddy could come to regret it later. What if he realized it was a bad idea and...

"But hey, at least it's behind me now," he said. "Alright, I really have to go."

He put his hand on the doorknob but stopped again. He looked over his shoulder at Brett.

"But you do know I still want to be with you, right?" he asked as if reading Brett's mind.

"Do you?"

"I do."

And Eddy left once again.

***

By the time Eddy came back, Brett had done more important daily chores, including staring thoughtfully at the ceiling and going to the store. He was swallowing the last bite of pasta from the plastic bowl when the door opened. He was really out of luck, his breath will probably reek of curry now.

Eddy, however, didn't seem interested in deeper conversation or kissing his curry lips, he just said hello and collapsed on his bed, complaining about being old and tired.

Brett once again decided not to be too disappointed and went about his business, only a little more tense now than before. So he threw the bowl away, drank some water, pulled out his old notes to get ready for... And then Eddy said his name and was ready to drop it all again.

"Hmm?" He turned towards the bed casually as if he wasn't waiting for their talk all day. No, not at all.

Eddy was lying on his side facing him, covering himself with a blanket.

"Do you want to sleep with me?" he asked, and Brett only raised his eyebrows, screaming internally as his mind started to imagine some unholy scenarios. But fortunately for him, Eddy clarified his question quickly enough. "I mean, do you want to lie down next to me...? Just for a minute, then you can go back to your life."

Brett wasn't sure if he was more relieved or disappointed but either way, he wanted to take up this offer. That was all he could possibly want at the moment, to be closer to Eddy, but he stopped himself from saying it out loud. Instead, he stated, "Uh, I will stink of your smell!" Because that's exactly the kind of nice thing you say to the person you want to hit on, and he slid under the covers next to Eddy, who made room for him with a displeased expression.