🄲🄷🄰🄿🅃🄴🅁 13

╭──╯ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
╰┈➤ Note from the Writer
The picture above is what I imagined Patrick to look like. I normally try to create a visual for each character, no matter how small of a role they may have. I just thought I'd share a visual for you all since I had one. Also, for who it might be useful, I use Artbreeder.com to make these. Without anything more, enjoy the chapter.  :)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

╰┈➤ Odd Job Sort of Thing? *:・゚✧*:・゚

The sound of an engine shutting off came from the front of the house. It must have been Patrick since Jasper ran to the window and waved. After a moment, Jasper joined me again and began chittering about his uncle. From what I gathered, he went to a school for grownups and worked outside a lot. I found it endearing how much Jasper looked up to Patrick. I hadn't officially met him yet, but he must be a good guy.

I caught a glimpse of him through the window. He was carrying a bag of tools and a can of white paint. He made a few trips to and from his truck. Eventually, he came to the back door, giving it a little knock before popping his head inside. Jasper and I came around the kitchen to say hello. Jasper went running and threw his arms around his uncle who caught him, lifting him into the air. I smiled, now able to give the voice a proper face.

"Hey," he greeted, reaching out his hand, "I'm Patrick. Nice to officially meet you."

I shook his hand, "I'm Eun Joo."

I could see the resemblance between him and Mrs. Acrey although Patrick seemed to be several years younger. He was probably somewhere around twenty and the "school for grownups" was most likely college.

"I won't be too much of a bother," he assured, "I'll just be out here painting. If you need anything though, let me know."

"Same here," I agreed.

Jasper and I spent the next few hours building our legos, coloring, and watching an episode or two of "Ducktales". Babysitting him made me realize how much the world had truly changed since I was a kid. My childhood consisted of running through sprinklers, eating pizza rolls, and watching "Pokémon". The TV shows from my time were much better than the ones of today.

Thinking of the past made me miss Felix, more than I usually do. I missed the days I took for granted. There was never a time I entered the house without remembering where the old piano used to sit, where each sprinkler used to hide in the backyard or the spot in the living room where Felix taught me taekwondo every Thursday night. The house was different now, and changed to make new memories. But it would always hold onto the old ones too.

"Jooie," Jasper tugged at my sleeve, "I'm hungry now."

"Alright," I stood and headed into the kitchen, "I'll heat us up some dinner."

As Jasper continued watching "Ducktales", I pulled the leftover macaroni and cheese from lunch. There was quite a bit left, perhaps even for Patrick. I nearly forgot about him. He had been so quiet outside, apparently hard at work. I grabbed a pot and began to heat the macaroni, adding a little milk and butter so the noodles wouldn't be grainy after sitting in the fridge. Once they were able to sit on their own, I peeked outside to find Patrick kneeling and concentrating on the porch posts.

"I'm heating up dinner," I spoke up, catching his attention, "Are you hungry? Or need a drink? You've been out here for a while."

"Oh, that'd be great," he got to his feet and carefully set down his brush. "Thank you. I guess there was more going on up here than in my stomach."

I chuckled and shrugged, "Well it happens."

Patrick followed me inside and kicked off his shoes on the rug, "What's on the menu?"

"Leftovers from lunch — macaroni and cheese," I answered, going over to check on it, "I hope you don't mind."

"As long as it's edible, it's fine with me."

He pumped some soap into his hands and washed them quickly. I stirred the noodles and opted to give them a few more minutes before calling Jasper.

"So do you like painting or is this just an odd job sort of thing?" I asked, leaning back on the counter.

He shrugged, "Both? I like painting and my sister wanted her porch painted. I'm the obvious candidate."

"Ah, I see," I crossed my arms, gazing outside.

"And what about you?" he tilted his head, a hint of a sly grin crossing his face, "Do you like babysitting or is this just an odd job sort of thing?"

Caught off guard, I burst out laughing, "I guess that's fair. I've never really done much babysitting, and this was kind of an out-of-the-blue opportunity."

"What made you take it?"

"I guess..." I sighed thoughtfully, peering up at the walls and ceiling, "I guess it's my job to watch over this house."

Patrick gave me a curious look but didn't press. I called Jasper into the kitchen and the three of us ate our dinner, chatting happily. Mr. and Mrs. Acrey arrived at the same time while we were eating so once I finished up, I headed back home. I went up to my room and changed into pajamas, grabbing my laptop and turning on "Pokémon". Sometimes I watched it by myself, pretending that Felix was still next to me.

I was happy for him, but I was in pain.