Chapter Eighteen

Darryl

If I received a two-inch long string each time I have to stop my eye from twitching each time a noble tells me a useless story, by now I'd have a rope strong enough to hang myself.

I can't remember what kingdom this prince and his sister are from, but I am about to strangle myself if he says anything more about his mystical jackrabbit he hunted last Wednesday.

"Pardon me," says a beloved and familiar voice behind me, "but my dear cousin is called for preparation in his upcoming speech. If you'll excuse us," her hand on my arm gently guides me out of the ballroom.

I heave the largest sigh of relief when we're out of everyone's gaze. "Thank you so much, Puffy." I almost cry, "I was about to bash his stupid face in if he said another word!"

"Well you can't go around doing that with so many more nobles who would need a good head-bashing as well. And I'm not so sure your father would approve."

I sigh, "You're right, of course."

"Of course," she affirms.

"I'm just a bit anxious, I guess. In anticipation."

"Oh? And what is it you're anticipating?"

I feel my face flush and I resign my hesitation, there's no sense in hiding my secret friend from her. Puffy would never tell. "I'm meeting with someone in the twelfth hour."

"In conference? Or... Have you found a lover, Darryl? Oh my goodness, that's so cute!"

My ears turn some shade of scarlet in her words. "Umm, not exactly, he's just my friend, we've been meeting for a few weeks, but we wanted to actually introduce ourselves. In the light. Learn one another's actual names."

"He doesn't know who you are?" she seems shocked, "I'm surprised someone in this castle wouldn't recognize you. And you're sure he's here legally?"

"Well, I never asked him, I just assumed because his only guilt he's told me of is one of his past lovers. But I'm sure he'd never do anything bad. He's a good person, really."

"Alright. Don't let your father catch you two tonight, though."

"What are you suggesting, princess Caroline of Casmerene?" I say, taking my default innocent defense.

"Nothing." She smirks.

"I do have one question, Puffy," I say, "what ever happened to that sweet maid you have been glancing at feverishly for the past few weeks?"

Her eyes go wide and she slumps miserably. "Is it that obvious to everyone?"

"Yeah, it kind of is," I admit.

She sighs glumly and peeks into the ballroom where many folk are dancing without any worry to the prince who planned the ball. Then she glances at the earnest clock. "It will soon be time for your twelfth hour meeting, my cousin. Perhaps you should humor a few more nobles before you head to your planned meeting place."

"You're right," I sigh, "I shouldn't stray from my own ball yet."

"Yes, yes, now go out and get complimented!"

—————

I'm sorry I've been gone so long guys 😅
I'm so caught up in everything and on top of that, I am in another fandom and my obsession is not unhealthy but it's not okay either 😃

-Love Sunny <3