Chapter One: Nether Regions, Impressive Mustaches and A Bad Time

                “But Mr. Finnegan, how did you get away?”

                Finnegan grinned at the eager child sitting at his feet, staring up at him with awe. He threw the boy a wink, “ ‘Twas quite simple.”

                “Simple?” the boy asked, his brow wrinkling up as he frowned.

                “Listen close, Luke, and I’ll tell ya how it was done,” Finnegan replied, lowering his voice so that Luke would lean closer in. “Ya see, boy, deep down in that cold soul of his Seamus likes me. He tied my hands in the front to give me a bit more of a chance. What he didn’t know was that I keep me a knife holstered in my britches.”

                “In your britches?”

                Finnegan laughed. “Yep. Right here.” He patted at the knife safely tucked beside his groin. “Not many men are too quick to go rifling through another man’s nether regions. I simply got my knife out, cut the rope ‘round my neck, freed my hands, hopped off my leg stand and took a big swallow o’ whiskey to help me forget my troubles.”

                “You’re amazing, Finnegan! I want to be just like you!” Luke exclaimed.

                  Finnegan laughed and patted the homeless boy on the hair,  “You’ll turn out just fine, boy, I’m sure of it.” 

                Finnegan smiled as the boy launched into a story of his own adventures. While Luke talked, Finnegan thought about the story he’d just told him. He still couldn’t believe Seamus had hanged him, though it shouldn’t surprise Finnegan. That ass was always nearly killing him and yet leaving him the smallest sliver of a chance to get out. Probably to clear the bastard’s own conscience when Finnegan finally did die from one of his stunts.

                Finnegan looked around the small town as he sat on the porch of the orphanage and listened to Luke. Finnegan always made it a point to stop at orphanages when he came to them and this one was one of his favorites. Finnegan loved children but Luke was the one he loved most. The eight year old didn’t deserve to be in this place with no family; then again none of the children did.

                He saw Theo standing down by the road, swishing his tail impatiently. Clearly the horse was ready to be on the move again.

                Finnegan hadn’t been completely honest with Luke about the day he’d nearly been hanged. He had cut himself loose but he hadn’t simply jumped down and went on his way….. There had been a bit more falling to the ground , having the breath knocked from his body and being sure he was going to die from the pain in his backside involved. He had been lying on the ground with his eyes closed, wishing he’d fallen close enough to his whiskey to reach it without moving when he’d felt something brush his face.

                At first it had scared him but then he’d heard the familiar sound of breath blowing out a nose irritably and he’d known it was Theo.  “Ah me faithful steed come to save me,” he’d mumbled as he’d used Theo to pull himself to his feet. “Faithful steed, my arse! Ya would have let me die up there, you flea-ridden beast.”

                Finnegan came back to the present when Luke tapped his arm. “Finnegan—I think those men are looking for you.”

                Finnegan followed Luke’s gaze and saw three men who turned their eyes in his direction at that exact moment,  “Shite!” Finnegan exclaimed. “Luke ya better be gettin’ yourself back inside now.”