Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

"Okay, now that Finnegan is dressed and we're away from the party, what kind of surprise do you have for us?" Cassandra asked as she and Finnegan stood inside the hotel room that Seamus and Calvin had rented.

Seamus smirked at Calvin and then turned his gaze back to Cassandra. "You see those sacks over there?"

Cassandra nodded, glancing at the three rather large burlap sacks in the corner. "I do have eyes."

"Well then use those eyes and go look in them," Calvin urged.

Cassandra frowned and wondered why he and Seamus were being so vague. Finnegan on the other hand eagerly walked to the three burlap sacks and pulled one open.

"Holy shite!" he exclaimed. He opened the second and then the third and Cassandra saw him begin shaking as he stuttered and stood slowly.

"What is it?" Cassandra asked cautiously.

"Go see for yourself," Seamus urged.

Cassandra's legs were stiff with uncertainty as she walked over to Finnegan and looked down at the bags resting at his feet. Cassandra's mouth went dry and her heart stuttered several beats.

Gold.

Three sacks full of nothing but gold coins.

"Where in the world did you find all of this?" Cassandra whispered. Finnegan still didn't appear to be in any condition to speak. He had crouched back down and was touching the golden coins delicately, as if they would disappear beneath his fingertips.

"We relieved Morgan of it," Seamus replied.

"His pack mule seemed grateful," Calvin added.

"You what?" Finnegan demanded as he stood straight and turned to face them. "The damn bastard saw ya with me that night. Now y'ave taken his damn treasure and he'll be right back after me again..."

"No, he won't, Finnegan," Seamus snapped. "I'm not that careless. I had a few of my men do the work and Calvin and I stayed out of sight."

"That's the treasure?" Cassandra gasped. "It really was there?"

"Yeah, it really was there," Seamus leaned against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest. "Four chests of gold."

"Where's the rest of it?" Finnegan questioned, looking over all the bags. "There had to be more than that."

"The rest of it is mine and Calvin's. This is yours."

"Wait now, ya weren't supposed to take that much! Ya must have taken half at least!"

"Yep, exactly half," Seamus agreed. "And you're damn lucky I brought you any of it. Honestly the only reason I did is because I like Cassandra and she's carrying my niece or nephew. You gave up the treasure, Finnegan, don't forget that."

Finnegan opened his mouth, clearly prepared to argue further and Cassandra clamped her hand over his lips. "Finnegan, he's right. He didn't have to bring us any of the treasure and he's giving us half! Between the sale of the townhouse and this gold, we're set for the rest of our lives. Don't you realize that?"

Finnegan swallowed hard and looked down at her. He nodded slightly and Cassandra pulled her hand from his mouth. "Little Cass, this is... I can pay my debts, even my debt to Morgan, we can go to California, we can start our pub and we can live in comfort and never have to worry 'bout a thing...."