Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Cassandra stared at Finnegan with dumbfounded shock when the daft man burst out laughing. He laughed so hard that he covered his stomach with one hand and leaned against the wall with the other.

"What is so funny?" Cassandra demanded.

"My luck," Finnegan chortled. "So much for the luck o'the Irish then."

Cassandra snorted as she crossed her arms over her chest, "Yes well your bad luck is going to cause me to be shipped straight back home, be kept under lock and key and then married off to Thomas Shelton at my father's earliest convenience."

"Relax, Little Cass," Finnegan cooed as he managed to contain his laughter. He slid an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, "Do ya really think I'd let ya be taken away from me now? We're a team you and I and I need ya."

Cassandra wanted to scream for two reasons. One, because Finnegan did not seem to realize how serious of a situation this really was and two, because she hated that Finnegan's only interest in her was her ability to find the treasure he so desperately wanted. She wished he could feel the same pull and confusing longing for her that she seemed to be feeling for him lately.

Damn heart! Cassandra had never been good at turning the thing off and thinking with her mind instead.

"And just what is your plan, you brilliant man?" she inquired, while batting her lashes and granting him an overly sweet smile.

"Plan for what? And why in the world would anyone use brilliant in a sentence about Finnegan?" Seamus' voice came from the open door. Cassandra and Finnegan both jumped and spun around. It was clear that neither had heard the door slide open.

"Ya need to learn to knock, Dear Seamus," Finnegan warned. "And don't ya even pretend as if ya did because I would have heard ya."

Seamus shrugged and leaned against the door frame, "You're right. I did not. Why is Cassandra scared to death and nearly shaking from her shoes?"

Cassandra knew she had no choice but to tell him and so she sighed, "My father is on this train."

Seamus' eyes widened a fraction, "And why would your father be heading to Montana?"

"This train stops many times before then," Cassandra reminded him, still painfully aware of Finnegan's arm around her shoulders. "He is heading west in search of me no doubt."

"You have him worried about you, Cassandra. That is not right in the least definition of the word," Seamus scolded. "You will go to him now and let him know you are safe and sound...."

"No, I won't."

"And why not?"

Cassandra rolled her eyes, "Because he will make me return home."

"That would be for the best," Seamus replied quite seriously. "This world is a dangerous place and the further west you travel the more dangerous it will become. A lady such as yourself has no business out here and certainly no business running around with a man like Finnegan."

"Hey!" Finnegan called out.

"Seamus, you don't understand. If I return to him and he drags me home then I'll be forced to live a life I do not want. I'll be turned into a society wife. Luncheons, teas, stuffy dances and marriage to Thomas Shelton. I want none of those things."

"The Shelton's are a respectable family. You could do worse." Seamus' eyes fell on Finnegan and Cassandra felt Finnegan's grip tighten yet more and turn almost possessive. That was...interesting.