Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

"Seamus, have you seen Finnegan?" Cassandra questioned as she stepped into the small diner. This was the final town the freight train the had been on for nearly two weeks would be stopping at before the final two day journey into Montana. It was also the longest stop they had taken. Due to an error in a shipping order, they would not be leaving this large, bustling town until midday the next day.

"No," Seamus frowned and laid his fork back onto his pie plate. "I thought he was with you."

Cassandra shook her head, "I haven't seen him in hours. He left to tell the hotel staff I needed a hot bath and that was the last I saw of him."

"I smell you got your bath," Calvin grinned as he breathed deeply.

Cassandra rolled her eyes as she sat down, "I'll have you know that you don't smell any more pleasant than I did." She grabbed up Seamus' fork and stabbed Seamus' pie, breaking off a large chunk, "We need to find Finn."

"Did you check the saloons and the gambling halls? This town has more than a few," Seamus stated as he yanked his plate closer to him kept his arms around it protectively.

Cassandra scowled around her mouthful of pie and then poked Seamus' arm roughly with the stolen fork. "Seamus..."

"Words of habit," he growled, jerking the fork from her hand. "I'm sure he's fine. Probably doing charity somewhere."

Calvin nodded. "Yeah, he's probably helping old ladies cross the street or feeding the hungry..."

"Calvin, I like you, don't make me hurt you," Cassandra warned. She flopped back against her chair and dropped her arms into her lap. As badly as she wanted to insist that both of these men were wrong and there was no way Finnegan was anywhere near a saloon, gaming hall or back alley gambling foray, she could not.

Dear God she still didn't have the faith in the man that she should.

"I'm going to go find him. He shouldn't have been gone this long. What if that Timpleton fellow or those others, Morgan or...."

"Okay, okay," Seamus pushed back his chair and stood. "Calvin and I will help you look for him."

"Thank you. It would be decent of you." Cassandra stood up and smoothed out her newly washed tan split riding skirt with flower embroidery that Finnegan had gotten for her so long ago on their first train adventure.

The trio made their way outside. It was early evening and the sun was beginning to hang low in the sky. "I'll check the saloons," Seamus offered.

"No!" Cassandra grabbed his arm and yanked him back.

"Why not?"

"There's not many other places he could be." Calvin shrugged. "He's been gone for hours, right?"

"Yeah, Cassandra, I'm sure he's not been shopping this whole time," Seamus added.

"Both of you stop!" Cassandra snapped. "I know that Finnegan hasn't always been perfect in the past but I won't jump to conclusion on where he is. There are three dozen other places in this town, easily, and we will check all of them before we step into any saloons or gaming halls."

"Why?" Seamus sighed. "It's a waste of time."

Cassandra squared her shoulders and hardened her jaw, "Because I won't think the worst of my husband. I promised." She saw Seamus' eyes soften a bit and she laid her hand on his arm. "I know he's not perfect, Seamus, but I won't believe the worst of him. I can't live through seeing that hurt in his eyes again."