8 • 𝑰𝑳𝑶𝑴𝑰𝑳𝑶

[trigger warnings: mentions of child neglect and anxiety.]

[song rec: ilomilo by billie eilish]

a/n: THANK YOU FOR VOTING.

𓆙𓆙𓆙

Amara Rosier is in the middle of the chapter professor Flitwick had asked them to read when the door of the classroom creaks open. Lily Evans enters with a grimace. She's late. Amara doesn't remember Evans ever being late to a lecture before. This is surprising-

Then, when the door is almost shut, Venus Black walks in.

Each student has a different reaction. Pandora Lestrange glances up because of the noise and looks down to the page as if nothing happened; Emmeline Vance seems intrigued because she has never once seen Venus and Lily together without being forced in her seven years of being a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Sirius Black just looks confused but he quickly goes back to his conversation with James, who acts as if a little lightbulb has gone off in his head; Remus has a little smirk on his lips and is discreet enough for people not to notice it; Marlene is as surprised as the rest of the classroom is.

Amara simply blinks, watching both girls behave as if they had been caught doing a crime. Her gaze connects with Peter's for a glimpse of a second before Professor Flitwick speaks up.

"Oh, well. Ms. Black and Ms. Evans decided to grace us with their presence, what a delight," Filius deadpanned. Amara could see through his glasses that he is pondering whether or not to take house points or give them detention. They let out sighs in relief when he chooses neither. "Take your seats, girls. Read chapter nine for the assignment I'm going to give."

Lily and Venus look at each other and drift apart awkwardly. Venus reaches Amara's side and sits at their desk as Lily does the same with Mary MacDonald, who is giving her a confused look.

"Chapter nine, is it?"

"So you're not shagging Evans?"

Venus sucks in a breath and her face gets hot. Amara widens her eyes in indignation, "Are you blushing-" And to think she was simply joking. But them arriving together, at the same time, looking extremely suspicious... it cannot be a coincidence, can it?

Amara has never seen Venus blush because of anyone. That is slightly concerning. She wants to know all of it. Best friend's rights. She knew something was going on, now she's starting to understand the who in the story.

"Mara, shut up." Venus hisses, casting a look at the Professor; he's still writing on the board. "I told you I'm not shagging anyone- would you quit it?"

Amara listens in horror as her best friend's voice turns slightly high.

"Oh, Merlin,"

Venus is fixing the stuff on her side repeatedly. She feels caught - she doesn't know why.

"Do you fancy-"

"Mara," Venus warns. Amara clips her mouth shut quickly. She surveys Venus with narrowed sight and waves the white flag, finally. Much to Venus' joy.

"Alright. I'll leave it," Amara whispers when Flitwick starts to explain the assignment. "You've got a lot to tell me about later, Black."

Venus groans inwardly.

"Just a coincidence, then?" Mary asks her for the tenth time after Charms ended. Lily is beginning to feel annoyed. No, she already is.