Chapter 4

WinterKit let the grit and dirt go over her paws as she stomped them hard into the ground.

Rippleleap drew her tongue over her ear. "Now now Winterkit, your apprentice ceremony will be here anytime soon."

Apprentice, the thought made Winterpaw's ear fluff block up her hearing. Was the juniper berries an omen? Or not? She thought for a moment and gave it one final thought, it must've been! The ancestor medicine-cat's must have brought this to her! Her thoughts were put to a stop as a loud shout of, "Winterkit!!!!!!" was called. Winterkit looked at her brother Autumnkit. "Oh thank Starclan! Thought you went deaf there for a second." He mewed with a hint of amusement in his voice.

Autumnkit shoved his sister to the side. "Look, Dappledpaw and Tansypaw have come back from training!"

Winterkit smiled and walked up to them,

Dappledpaw held three frogs in his mouth with his chin raised in pride. He held his tail flat across the ground and it brought up dirt.

Tansypaw, beside Dappledpaw, held a fat toad.

While Plumflower and Mudsight behind them held squirrels and frogs. Once they all set the prey on the fresh-kill pile, Dappledpaw walked over to Winterkit.

"Did you see my catch, pretty neat huh?" Tansypaw walked up beside him and purred in amusement. "You only caught it because I helped you."

Dappledpaw purred. "Maybe, or I helped you." His tail pointed at her fat toad and squirrel." Tansypaw shook her head, "yeahhh, no." She purred.

Glazesight was stretching her legs. "Oh there's so much more room in the Nursery now! With those two apprentices gone, now everything has gone much smoother! The kits can actually walk around now!" Crimsonkit, Spikekit and Swiftkit were all two moons now. A long time ago they had opened their eyes to show Spikekit's eyes, a flaming orange, Crimsonkit's eyes a reddish-brown and Swiftkit had a unique blue and yellow. Glazesight was very happy about it, infact, she'd talk about it a lot. Swiftkit and the other two were always playing the normal Nursery games while Autumnkit liked to practice hunting crouches and pouncing. Winterkit thought for a moment then got up to her paws. Today, she'd talk to Smokeleaf, today. She felt uneasy in her steps, but once one of her paws stepped into the entrance of the medicine den, memories flooded through her and fluffed up her fur, she gave her pelt a quick lick and she sat down. Smokeleaf was assorting herbs, turning to the apprentice, she mewed, "what's wrong, Winterkit? No thorns in paws, right?" Winterkit shook her head. "No.. bigger things than that." Smokeleaf was more interested now. "What happened?" There was silence that was broken off when Winterkit accidentally stepped on a twig, which caused her to blurt out. "I want to be a medicine cat!" She shut her mouth immediately, her ears flicking back in embarrassment and her whole pelt was ruffled. She didn't know if she was lying to the medicine cat and herself, she didn't really want to be a medicine cat, but she must have to be if starclan wants her to. It felt like five sunrises had gone by when Smokeleaf finally answered. "If you wish, it would be nice having a helping paw. I'll talk to Soulstar." She left the den and Winterkit felt a long sigh release from her, she didn't know if it was relief or not. But it felt like a lot was just taken off her shoulded and she gave a stretch. Winterkit realised that the sundown had gone to moonrise, she scattered off to the Nursery and shifted herself beside Autumnkit, but she could barely sleep thinking about what Smokeleaf and Soulstar might've said to each other. But eventually she managed to whirl into sleep. Once asleep she dreamt of what had just happened, Winterkit telling Smokeleaf she wants to be a medicine cat. Did she regret it? Or was it worth it? Winterkit frowned and twitched in her sleep. No, she was sure this was right. Winterkit; medicine cat of Shadowclan. Maybe it could be even better than being a leader! She thought to herself, tail swishing in excitement. She woke up with a start, she couldn't sleep, she would be six moons so soon! In about two days, Winterkit smiled and travelled across camp, Owlfeather catching her with a mew. "Why are you out of the Nursery, Winterkit? It's late, you know. I was just about to go to the warriors den myself." Winterkit turned her head. "Deputies go to the warriors den?" Owlfeather purred in amusement. "Yea? Didn't you know?" Winterkit sniffed. "No..no I didn't." Owlfeather responded. "Well then where would we sleep?" Winterkit thought for a moment. "Uhh, I don't know..a makeshift den next to the leaders den?" Owlfeather chuckled. "I guess that'd be nice, huh, a den all to myself. Now you, Winterkit, should be getting to your den." He nodded then turned to the warriors den, Winterkit turned and entered to the Nursery. She saw Autumnkit, Spikekit, Swiftkit, and Crimsonkit all asleep, along with the queens. Winterkit sniffed and shuffled between Autumnkit and Rippleleap and fell asleep. Her world giving way into sleep.

Dawn approached and Winterkit's eyes were already open, she hopped out of her nest and cleaned herself up and left the nursery. She saw Plumflower and Mudsight ushering Dappledpaw and Tansypaw out of the apprentices den. Making Tempestcrow angrily pop her head out of the warriors den, "dear Starclan, shut up!" She got out angrily, it was still Moonup, nearing to dawn. Tempestcrow's tail was above her head, which was unnatural for warriors to do. Winterkit shrugged it off and saw Soulstar approaching Tempestcrow for a patrol. Winterkit smiled, thinking to herself about Soulstar and the former 'Tempestpaw.' That would be her and Smokeleaf, but with herbs and medicine cat duties. Winterkit trekked along the side of the camp, watching Owlfeather exit the Warriors den as Dawn was well here now and he called out for patrols, warriors began to cross over to him or file out from the warriors den. Winterkit turned back into the nursery and settled into her nest, she was a kit and she may as well enjoy it now before she becomes an apprentice.