Chapter 10

Winterpaw strode under the tunnel, following Soulstar and entering through the bushes and into Fourtrees. Shadowclan was late. Windclan's leader, Goldstar, Riverclan's leader, Chimerastar and Thunderclan's leader, Paintstar, had all sat on the rock, staring at Shadowclan. Tempestcrow's tail swished in irritation as the leaders looked irritated and amused. Soulstar made his way up the Great Rock. Shadowclan filed out onto the clearing and all sat down, Owlfeather joining the deputies, despite the deputy's annoyed gaze at their late arrival. Winterpaw was nervous, her eyes shifting around, what would they think of Reaperpaw? She raised her muzzle, whatever they thought, Shadowclan would still be proud. "Cats of all clans," Chimerastar began, speaking first, "the prey in Riverclan is plentiful. Riverclan cats are healthy and well fed." Chimerastar turned her head to Goldstar and gestured to let him speak, Goldstar spoke up. "Windclan's prey is also plentiful, and I would also like to announce a new litter, Scarkit and BrightKit." All clan's voices rose in congratulations and only died down when Paintstar wove his tail to hush them. "Thunderclan is doing well, we are also happy to announce a new litter, Pebblekit." Paintstar smiled then sat down, turning to Soulstar to allow him to speak. Winterpaw turned her head to Soulstar to look at her leader. He puffed out his chest to announce the cats. "Shadowclan announces good news of a new apprentice and two warriors," mewls of confusion rose around the cats. "What? But a new litter was never announced enough moons ago for an apprentice." Winterpaw heard a mew. Soulstar swished his tail for silence, then spoke up, "we will speak about that later. Firstly, Dappledpaw and Tansypaw have became warriors, everyone welcome Dappledcloud and Tansysun!" The clans cheered their names and Dappledcloud and Tansysun smiled and raised their chins. Chimerastar spoke after it all settled. "Now, about this apprentice?" Soulstar nodded. "A Shadowclan patrol found a rouge nearby Carrionplace, we took him in to care for him as he was hurt when we found him. But eventually, we asked if he wanted to join the clan and he said yes, so we welcome Reaperpaw into our clan." Yowls rose amongst the cats that shook the leaves on the branches of the four trees that surrounded them. "A rouge? He's just trying to get into your head!" A spat came from another, "Shadowclan's gone insane!" An agitated cat hissed, "he's just an apprentice! Leave him alone, there's no harm he can do!" Winterpaw turned her head to look at Reaperpaw who was sunken into his fur with a grouchy look on his face. Soulstar's voice rose. "Silence! I will not be tolerating hatred against Shadowclan's new member, he is just as capable as any warrior here!" He frowned. "It seems clear to me this gathering has came to an end. Shadowclan!" He called, hopping down the Great rock as Shadowclan followed after him. Winterpaw blinked and caught up to the rest of them quickly. "Well, that was quick." Mewed Smokeleaf, looking at Winterpaw. "I think they've forgotten about the truce, I thought the clouds were going to cover the moon soon." Winterpaw nodded. Continuing to walk forward, her eyes set ahead as she ducked under the tunnel entering into Shadowclan territory. She turned her gaze to Reaperpaw who was angry, tail swishing. Soulstar seemed annoyed too, but Winterpaw could care less for Soulstar's feelings, after all he betrayed her. Winterpaw frowned, her tail now also swishing, rhythmic with most of the cats in the clan. As they entered Shadowclan territory, Winterpaw saw toads and frogs hopping here and there. Dappledcloud and Tansysun were in good spirits, Winterpaw smiled. She was ten moons now, that was right. But she'd have as many moons to go as Smokeleaf decided. Winterpaw looked at the ground, her paws touching the earth each pawstep.

Winterpaw entered the Nursery, seeing the 6 moons old Spikekit, Crimsonkit and Swiftkit, all complaining. "Has Soulstar forgotten about us!?" Hissed Spikekit. Crimsonkit ignored her and chatted with Swiftkit about it. "This is totally unfair, Dappledcloud and Tansysun become warriors early while we have to sit around a wai-" Swiftkit mewed over him. "Hello, Winterpaw!" She mewed cheerfully, Winterpaw nodded to her. "God, it's crowded in here, even with Glazesight back in the warriors den." All grown kits nodded in agreement, besides Spikekit who had grumbled and exited the den. Winterpaw shifted to Pumpkinkit, who was wrapped into Foxfire's tail. "How is he? Smokeleaf told me to check up on the kits." Foxfire  smiled. "Pumpkinkit has three moons till he's an apprentice, I'm so proud for him." Winterpaw smiled and ducked back out of the den. Looking at the clan, she remembered Smokeleaf telling her that Soulstar was on his last life so we had to take good care of him. Winterpaw stretched, enjoying the serenity of the clan. Everything was quiet, every cat on night duty. The wind ruffled the whiskers in Winterpaw's ears as she walked softly across to the medicine den, she stared closely at the medicine shelf and went to go collect any herbs that she was short of. Winterpaw looked up at the sky, Sundown was approaching so she had little time. Winterpaw strode across the territory, hearing the croak of a frog or the wind in her ears. She approached a batch of celandine and collected the stems, ever since treating Reaperpaw's wound she had became short on celandine, so collecting some for her and Smokeleaf would be a good idea. Winterpaw held the celandine in her mouth then approached chervil, her fur fluffed against the cold wind, and her eyes flashed, memories of Rippleleap, this was the same area. She looked at the patch her dead mother once lay and her whiskers drooped in sadness as she looked at her paws with a frown. She took the chervil and left, her ears planted to her skull. But as Sundown left and the moon had came, her eyes closed and she stopped, taking a deep breath of fresh air. Her ears rose back up and fireflies flew around her, she looked up at them as her smooth, fluffy fur fluffed against the chill wind. She took another breath, through her mouth around the bundle of herbs. She turned back and entered camp. Her eyes immediately set on the medicine den, she travelled over to the caved den and set her herbs on the shelf, Smokeleaf approvingly staring at her.

Dawn filtered through and Winterpaw crept out of the Apprentices den. Smokeleaf said since there was enough nests she could start to sleep in the medicine den in three moons. Winterpaw smiled, was she going to become a medicine cat soon? Winterpaw looked at the fresh-kill pile and saw Spikekit in front of it with Swiftkit and Crimsonkit behind. Whatever was happening there, Winterpaw guessed it was some new kit-game. Even though they'd be made apprentices tomorrow. She smiled, looking around camp. she turned her head to look at her tail full of sticks and foxtails. She started to rip them out of her tail but made sure she was careful with the foxtails as Smokeleaf informed her they're quite dangerous. Winterpaw dug up the earth and shoved all the foxtails she pulled from her tail underneath, burying them so no kits could choke on them or get them stuck in their mouth. Winterpaw looked up at the kits as she heard commotion near them. Where they hurt? She strolled over to see Glazesight among them, Winterpaw kept a distance so the kits couldn't see her, she sat down and watched. Her attention fixed on Soulstar as he streaked past her, approaching the kits. "Now, what's going on here?" Soulstar meowed with his usual authoritative voice. Glazesight looked at Soulstar and respectfully greeted him with a dip of her head. Owlfeather walked beside Soulstar, with Foxfire coming from the opposite side. Foxfire sat and pulled Spikekit close, cleaning her ruffled fur, she stared at Crimsonkit with disappointment but still pulled him close and cleaned his fur. Glazesight cleaned Swiftkit as Owlfeather called out "Warriors of Shadowclan, come forward for your patrols today!" Winterpaw watched all the warriors filed out over to Owlfeather.  Soulstar finally mewed. "Foxfire, Glazesight," he said politely, "please come to my den where we can discuss what's happened." The queens followed with their fur fluffed in defend of their kits. Soulstar turned his head to the three kits. "Crimsonkit, Spikekit, Swiftkit. Please wait in the nursery until further notice." The two queens, Glazesight and Foxfire, followed Soulstar into the leader's den and the white she-kit looked at the ground with her ears pressed to her skull. "I'm sorry." Winterpaw frowned as she saw the miserable look on Swiftkit's face. She decided to turn off into the medicine den to check on Smokeleaf. She was cleaning the herbs and Winterpaw scrambled over to help her. Winterpaw noticed Smokeleaf starting to work slower, Winterpaw frowned, but continued to sort out the dried leaves and the fresh ones. She looked up at Smokeleaf and noticed Smokeleaf was looking right at her too. "I think it's time you become a full medicine cat in about five moons." Winterpaw smiled. "So when I'm fifteen moons old? Cool!" Her eyes squinted in happiness and she looked at Smokeleaf happily.