Chapter 12

"All warriors come for patrols!" Owlfeather called, his mew rumbling across the camp.

Dawn light shone through the Apprentice's den, filtering through. Winterpaw narrowed her eyes as she stared through the leaves that intertwined with brambles.

"—I'd like that." Winterpaw heard the mew of Swiftpaw, if the other apprentices were up, she should be too.

Winterpaw stretched and brushed all her leaves out of her fur with her tongue. As Winterpaw exited out of the den her ears flicked down so she could fit through the den exit. She found Glazesight on her own and Winterpaw gave her a nod. Winterpaw trotted on over to the prey pile, picking out a squirrel. She clamped it in her maw then turned over into the medicine den, being greeted by Smokeleaf.

"Winterpaw, hello, it's half moon tonight." She smiled, her grey tail twitching happily.

Winterpaw smiled. "Alright, I wonder how Honeygaze's doing." She then looked down at Crimsonpaw, who was snoozing. "How is he?" Winterpaw asked, her tail giving a quick flick to get off a leaf.

"His scar is healing over time, he will be fine. Coalpaw checked on him today." Smokeleaf purred and looked at Coalpaw who sat in the back corner.

Winterpaw smiled and nodded slowly. "Will we have training today?" She questioned, looking at Smokeleaf.

Smokeleaf nodded. "Of course! What kind of question is that? In fact, let's get started now." Smokeleaf sat in-front of the medicine shelf, Winterpaw quickly followed behind.

"What is this herb used for?" Smokeleaf asked, holding a bundle of chervil delicately in her paw.

Winterpaw knew the basic herbs off by heart for now, she'd been figuring them out for twelve years. "The juice of the herb is for healing an infected wound. Yet manually chewed chervil roots are good for bellyaches." She mewed, completely sure of herself.

Smokeleaf nodded and purred. "Correct." Smokeleaf stopped to think. "How about a harder herb."

Winterpaw prepared herself, going through all the lesser-known herbs. Ragwort leaves for aching joints, celandine for injured eyes and ease to pain, chickweed for greencough.

Smokeleaf mewed. "What is raspberry leaves for?" She mewed, testing the apprentice and waiting for her response.

Winterpaw quickly thought to herself then her fur spiked up in excitement. I remember this! Smokeleaf told me we might need it for Swayfern's kits when they come! "Raspberry leaves are used to ease pain during a queen's kitting!"

Smokeleaf nodded. "Very good. Alder bark is used for?" Smokeleaf put her on edge this time.

Winterpaw's fur stuck out like a hedgehog's spikes. "Ah-uh...I don't know.." she frowned, embarrassed.

Smokeleaf looked at her. "That's okay. Alder bark is used for healing toothaches. You'll learn." She smiled.

Winterpaw's fur itched, then she nodded. "Okay." She frowned, her ear giving a flick. "At least I got two right!" She purred, focusing on the positive.

Smokeleaf nodded in agreement. "Correct. You know a lot, I have been testing you for 7 moons now. But you don't know everything just yet."

Winterpaw smiled, then heard Crimsonpaw let out a groan.

Crimsonpaw spread out his paws then hissed in pain. "Mrrrow!" The deep scratch in his back was opened up again, blood trickling from him.

Smokeleaf looked at Winterpaw. "Okay, for this time, you do it, I want to see if you use the right stuff."