69. The Prince's Faith

Teaser: With Yeosang in custody and everyone still recovering from everything that happened, Heejin takes on a responsibility that isn't hers.

Chinmae and Jaemin were both at home resting, so Heejin decided against telling them what was going on. Yeosang told her to tell Yuqi what happened and that was her plan, but it took a couple hours to even find her.

After searching every restaurant she could think of, she finally saw the girl in the cemetery, praying in front of a grave.

Heejin knew that she didn't believe in one specific God, but she would pray for people who have passed away in hopes that it would do some good for them. It was too complicated for Heejin to understand, but she could see it now.

She walked through the cemetery to her friend and expected the stone to say Hikari or the name of one of her parents, but instead, it read,

"Song Jingyi
1996-2006"

"She was my sister," Yuqi said with her eyes still closed. "I'm sorry I never told you about her. I only ever told Yeosang and Jaemin."

"How'd you know it's me?" She asked, standing behind her.

"At one point, I looked up and saw you coming." She finally opened her eyes, but continued sitting on her knees. "She passed away when I was seven years old. It was the first Bucheon invasion in decades. I thought that... being a soldier who was fighting that kingdom would give me some kind of closure for her death, but this war has done nothing but make me feel worse. Can it possibly get any worse Heejin?"

Like you wouldn't believe.

"Um, about that..." she scratched the back of her neck. "I'm really sorry, but we kind of need your help."

***

"The officers can't mess with me because I'm a direct assistant to the queen, but they still berated me on my way here," Vivi said with a frown while giving Yeosang a nice meal. "They said I should just give you instant food because you're such a monster..."

She looked away and Yeosang thanked her, doing his best to eat with his hands that were cuffed even though he was in a cell. Vivi, Jinni, and Hongjoong were all in disbelief that it was actually true. Like the other knights, they were always in close contact with Yeosang. He was a relatively kind person who worked day and night to help the kingdom succeed.

Also, any normal person could see his loyalty to the kingdom. Regardless of his disputes with the queen who's mental health was progressively declining, he seemed loyal to the kingdom. Even if nobody was 100% certain where his loyalty lied, if one thing was for certain, it's that it wasn't with Bucheon.

Maybe he would think about doing it for a different kingdom, but not Bucheon. He's hated that kingdom for years on a personal level.

"Is it true?" She asked suddenly, and he looked up at her. "Is your family really working with them?" He nodded, obviously irritated that word about it had somehow gotten out. "The queen told all of the main castle staff. I'm sorry."

"It's alright. Thank you again for the food."

Regardless of how tough he tried to look, she could tell that he was worried about a lot of things that he couldn't help with right now. It was unfair that he was even in here. The fear of a traitor being amongst the higher-ups was so strong that everyone turned their backs on him without knowing anything.

He was having a trial tomorrow though, and Vivi just hoped that everything would be figured out right away. "Hey, when you're free again, I'll make you whatever you want, okay?" When he acknowledged her offer, she smiled and left.