Chapter #3-We Could Do It

I held in a gasp as the tip of the arrow slowly inched away from my face. I soon recognized the braid and those eyes the color of the moon. It was Katniss.

"Oh sorry!", she said laughing.

"Hey Catnip!", I say. Katniss is her real name but when we met, I thought she said Catnip, so now, her nickname is Catnip.

We sat down on the log where we keep the bow and arrows and I pull out a loaf of bread. Real bread. Not the kind we make from grain rations.

"Real bread", Katniss says with a sarcastic tone.

"Real bread", I say.

"Real?".

"Real".

She then pulled out a small wheel of cheese wrapped in basil leaves.

"Prim left it for me. It's goat cheese.", She says.

My nose suddenly fills with the scent of fresh cheese and the bread makes my mouth water.

"Thanks Prim! We'll have a real feast today!", I say. "Oh and I almost forgot! Happy Hunger Games!", I say mimicking Effie Trinket, the the maniacally upbeat woman who arrives once a year to read out the names at the reaping.

Katniss laughs while I strip the bushes of their berries.

"May the odds", I say popping a blackberry into my mouth,"Be ever in YOUR favor!", I say while the delicious taste of berry juice fills my mouth.

Katniss pops a berry into her mouth as I take out my knife and start cutting the bread. She takes the bread and carefully places a slice of the cheese and a basil leave on the bread. She hands one to me and starts to eat hers.

"You know", I say swallowing the bread,"We could do it".

"Do what?"

"Get out of here, you know? We could leave and go somewhere else! Som-somewhere we could live! Just...Just anywhere but here!"

"Gale...I can't do that...with Prim and my mothe-"

"Yeah...I get it. I have a family to support too.", I say looking down.

"So...What do you want to do? We could hunt or fish or-"

"Fishing", I say almost a second after her question.

"Okay, I'll grab the poles.", she says heading up the hill with her braid swaying to the rhythm of the wind.

God.....She's beautiful......