Chapter #7-Why Does The Capitol Like Watching Kids Die?

On the way home, we were silent.

"Gale?", Prim asks teary-eyed, "Why does the Capitol like watching kids die?"

I didn't know what to say.

"They're desensitized.", I say without thought.

"They've seen it happen so much, they just think of it as entertaining"

Prim buries her head in my chest and cries the whole way home.

↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠

After taking Prim and her mother home, I walk home to my house.

When I open the door, My mother hugs me.

"Mom...It's all right", I say fighting to keep my voice steady.

"But..... Katniss! She wa-"

She's cut off by my three brothers and sister running up to hug me.

"Hey Gale! We're going to have the best dinner tonight!", says Posy, the youngest of the three. She was born a week after the mine explosion that killed Mine and Katniss's fathers.

"Yes we are", I say trying not to think about Prim and her mother, and how they are going to store the food meant for tonight, lock their door, and cry themselves to sleep.

I sit down next to my mother while she places plates of greens, bread, and stew on the table.

"Hey Gale!", Vick says looking up at me,"Is Katniss going to die?". Kids have absolutely no filter.

"Vick!", My mother says. "Please! Stop!". I can see the dark circles under her eyes as she wipes her forehead.

"Fine!", he says bringing his fork up to his mouth.

"I'm going out.", I say getting up and putting my plate in the sink.

"Gale! Wait!", says my mother getting up to stop me, "Please ju-"

The rest of her sentence is blocked by the slam of the door as I head out into the night.