-Athena-

Filler chapter sorry y'all
————————

Training continues for another day. It goes pretty much the same as the day before, with the Careers employing their intimidation tactics and Glimmer swooning over Cato some more. I have to admit, I'm a little passed with myself for caring so much weather he actually cares for her or not. The way he acts around her is so...convincing sometimes.

We train a little longer today. The trainers set up a special exercise, one they call "The Gauntlet." It's essentially a series of obstacles and challenges designed to test the strength of the tributes.

Marvel does surprisingly well. Glimmer, well, at least she doesn't fall. When Cato goes up, I watch with a satisfied smile as he swings across the course expertly and finishes triumphantly with a loud "Whoop!"

I look up at him, and he looks down at me, and we share a small glance before it's my turn to go up.

I know some of the others are looking at me with apprehension. Yes, they've seen my prowess with my knives, but no doubt some of them believe i lack strength due to my small figure. Hell, some of the kids from the middle districts have been fed gruel and stale bread all their lives and they're bigger than me.

I'll prove them all wrong. As soon as the gong sounds I spring to the first bar in front of me and skillfully haul my way across. All those years of training and effort have not let me down, and I skillfully block the throw one of the trainers sends my way. I can hear the other Careers egging me on, and Marvel's even begun chanting my name.

When I finish the gauntlet, panting, I throw a poison-filled look down at the other tributes. They look scared. I think of Enobaria and the way she hisses at people, and I bare my teeth threateningly.

"That was great, Clove," Marvel says. "Glimmer, you know who she reminds me of?"

Glimmer laughs dryly. "Of course you're thinking of that, Marvel. You and your worker's tales."

"Clove, you're like Athena," Marvel says.

"Athena," I run the word through my mouth, trying to remember what it means. "Was she from some old story?" I ask.

"From a myth. My father would always tell me these old stories. Athena, she was the goddess of battle, wits, and wisdom. You remind me of her."

I feel my face warm up. Marvel thinks i'm a goddess? I laugh lightly. "Too far," I joke.

"Wow, you made her laugh," Glimmer snorts. "A smile actually makes you look less boring, Clove."

I glower at Glimmer. What's her issue with me? I look up to Cato, wanting his support, but he looks away and says something to Glimmer. I feel some kind of jealousy.

Instead I turn my attention to the Gauntlet, where Marina is readying up to go. She does alright, but more than once she catches a switch to the face. However, she moves lithely and seems to have a good instinct for when to jump.

The rest of the districts produce varying levels of failure. I don't pay them much attention. One of them falls and rolls his ankle badly, whimpering like a hurt dog.

Most of these kids won't make it past the Bloodbath. Their movements are always predictable. They run for the Cornucopia, try and grab one of the bags littered around the outside. One or two may be successful, but the rest will meet their ends by the hands of the careers, or other desperate children trying to escape. The only time any of the Outer Districts win is when they produce an exceptionally strong, smart, or cunning tribute who manages to manipulate the Games in their favor

Take Beetee Latier, A victor from Three who won before I was born. He wasn't exceptionally strong, or pleasing to the Capitol eye, but he had an incredible intelligence. Being from the tech District, after all. He used his knowledge of Capitol Technology to electrocute eight Tributes all at once, winning the Games. Although he wasn't from a career district, footage of his Games are always shown to students in the Academy.

There are other strategies, like the one employed by Johanna Mason of district Seven. She was witty. Portrayed herself as weak, sniveling, just another throwaway tribute from a backwater District. She successfully avoided the interest of the Careers and managed to survive most of her games just through hiding. But when she was left in the final few, she turned into an absolute killing machine, slaughtering the competition with her ax.

I watch the girl from District Eleven scramble through the Gauntlet, showing surprising agility. She's a tiny little thing, only brushing five feet and sporting a small mane of curly brown hair. She's underfed. Afraid. She clings to the side of her District Partner and hangs around in the shadows of others.

District 12's boy is an absolute joke. Once we're done with the Gauntlet, the other Careers and I hang by the armory,  watching him struggle to climb a rope ladder. Cato laughs obnoxiously. Glimmer smirks. Marvel shakes his head mockingly.

We watch Fire Girl whisper something to him. He looks up, and then stands and makes his way to the weight rack. I don't expect much, but when he picks up the heaviest one on the rack, I can feel my confidence dull.

And to my absolute shock, he effortlessly hurls the weight into the weapons rack, blowing all the swords, spears and knives clean off the shelves.

I seethe. So he can throw a weight. What's he gonna do with that? The damn show off.

The other careers however have a look on their faces that resembles surprise but also interest. Especially Cato. He's looking at the boy with a piqued smile, arms crossed in thought.

"He could be useful," He says.

"How so?" I ask.

Cato smiles. "Oh, I don't know. He looks healthy enough."

I shrug.

Cato catches my eye. "What did Marvel say about you earlier? Compared you to some goddess?"

"Something like that," I mutter nonchalantly.

He bumps me in the shoulder. "You're way too short for that."

I scowl at him, although I'm sure he sees the humor in my eyes. "Shut up, Cato."