-The Truth of Emotion-

y'all we're about to be at the tracker jacker scene 😭😭 i'm hyped
————-

"How's everything with you?" She calls down.

    "Well enough," Cato growls. "Yourself?"

"It's been a bit warm for my taste. The air's better up here. Why don't you come on up?" She jokes condescendingly, and I grit my teeth.

    "Think I will," Cato mutters, and begins to try and climb the tree.

    Immediately I know this is a bad idea. Cato is pure muscle, and he's heavy. Katniss scurries higher into the branches. Cato also got his sword in his hand, and this impairs his balance.

    Either way, me and the others are near-livid with rage at the base of the tree. "Kill her, Cato!" I shriek, my voice joining into the furious chorus of shouts. "Kill her!"

Cato hauls himself up the thicker part of the trunk, gripping tightly to an overhanging limb where he waits for a moment. "I'm coming for you!" He roars as he hauls himself up a step higher. Suddenly, my stomach drops as Cato grabs a tree limb, which snaps ominously under his grasp.

"Cato-!"

He comes crashing down to the ground just seconds after I've called his name. He hit the floor hard, and I look to him worriedly. He gives a hacking cough, then rises to his feet and starts roaring profanities at Katniss.

"You little lowlife bitch!" he shouts up into the tree. "Come down here right now, I'll fuck you up!"

Then I see Glimmer prepare her bow and arrow and lift herself up the trunk. She weighs less than Cato, and I watch as she gets a good thirty feet up into the tree before balancing on a sturdy branch and pulling out her bow and notching an arrow. She shoots, and, unsurprisingly misses. Another arrow is sent straight into the tree branch above Katniss's head.

Glimmer seethes silently as Katniss clutches the flyaway arrow and waves it teasingly. I would find this funny, actually, if I wasn't so fucking furious about Fire Girl still being alive.

Peeta has gone completely silent, though, staring quietly up at the tree. I remember his little love confession, and the suspicion I had felt about him before starts rushing right back.

Glimmer clambers back down the tree, and the group of Careers groups together to discuss the wrench in our plans.

"We can't let her escape again," I say firmly. "We had every chance to catch her."

"Clove, what about your knives?" Marvel mutters. "You can't throw those up there?"

I think to myself how stupid Marvel is. "Would throwing a spear at her work either?" I ask condescendingly, and he purses his lips.

"We could burn the tree down," Cato mumbles. "But that could risk another forest fire. All the plants are still dry and flammable."

Glimmer frowns and studies her nails. "Ugh. What a bitch. Thinks she's the shit because she can climb a tree. Give me a fucking break."

"Tell me about it," I agree with her, and Glimmer smirks in my direction.

Marina looks away. "What about..."

And then Peeta butts in. "Guys, just let her stay up there. She's got to come down eventually, It's that or starve to death. We'll deal with her in the morning."

I fix him with an icy glare, but Cato studies the boy for a moment before shaking his head. "Fine," he mutters, to my surprise. "Someone start a fire." Then he takes Glimmer on his arm and they walk away from the clearing, leaving me, Marvel, Marina, and Peeta. I spend another moment staring at the girl in the tree before I turn away and start looking for kindling.

Luckily, there's plenty of dry plant matter for me to use. I have Marvel twirl the stick of wood on the log while I hold it in place, and in about half an hour, we have a decently-sized fire going. Glimmer and Cato return with a couple of squirrels and a rabbit, and I'm grateful that for once Glimmer's bow has been useful.

As I roast a squirrel above the now-large fire, the pack begins to settle down for the night. The anger over Katniss's evasion seems to have ebbed a little, and now we can sit somewhat
comfortably and talk about normal things. Cato and Glimmer sit together, of course, while Marvel fiddles with his jacket next to Marina. I'm tasked with keeping watch on Peeta, so I'm seated furthest away from the group.

    I watch Cato draw his sword, set it over the fire and turn it until the iron goes red-hot. He holds the glowing sword in front of him for a moment, smiling, before spitting on it with a crisp sizzle. He lets loose a boyish smile and Glimmer giggles, pigtails waving as she looks from Cato to the rest of us. "Boys," she chirps.

    I see Marvel catch my eye, and I look away. I study the blades in my hands, golden firelight reflecting off their silver surface. No blood spilled on these blades yet.

    I feel an odd feeling now, away from the others, sitting in the far-reaching dregs of the flame-glow. The heat doesn't even touch me here. And then, I wonder, why the group made me sit here, in the corner like an outcast.

    Rather, Cato did. I steal a glance at him, teasing Glimmer and playing with her hair. It's as if there's been a gigantic wall built in between the two of us. Cato and I are worlds apart.

    I spot a lizard scurrying along the forest floor, and with a quick flick of my wrist, I send a dainty knife into it's back. The creature twitches, attempting to escape, but it's struggle only infuriates me more. I finally kill it with a blade between it's shoulders, and sigh as the thing finally dies.

    I'm aware of Peeta watching me. Marvel too. I don't know if my emotions are emanating off me right now, but I sure hope not. I can not let that sign of weakness escape me.

    And so as Marvel takes first guard and the embers of the fire are stomped away, I lay down in my isolated niche, put my head down on the lumpy surface of my backpack, and try to sleep, despite the deep loneliness rolling over me like a wave.