-Vengeful Angel-

warning! this chapter contains mentions of sensitive topics such as S/A. please read with caution!
———————

The day passes, and blends into evening. Tommorow, it's time for our private sessions, where we now have a chance to show our skills to the Gamemakers. As a Career, our score must be above the 7 mark on a scale of 1 to 10. I know that I have it in the bag. Not because I'm cocky, just because I have confidence in my own skills.

For Cato too, the Private Sessions are important. He comes into my room again to that night after dinner and sits down on my bed. I'm flopped down on my back, staring up at the ceiling

"Hey," he says.

"Hey," I say back.

Cato flops down on the bed. "I'm bored," He says.

"So you came to me?" I ask disbelievingly.

"You don't bore me," He says, and I hear the mattress creak as he moves. He plays with my hair and I slap his hand away.

"Stop!" I hiss, swatting at him as he continues to try and touch me. "Cato, you dick!"

He laughs and I growl, raising onto my shoulders and trying to punch him. Cato grabs both my arms and slams me back down onto the bed, and I wriggle in his grip, eventually managing to worm away. I fling myself onto Cato's broad back and lock my arms around his neck, choking him. With an indignant roar, he tears me off of him and with a burst of speed, pins me down onto the mattress.

His hands hold my wrists down, and his knees lock my legs into place. I struggle, but Cato is too heavy and I'm trapped under him.

"I win," He taunts, raising his eyebrows.

"That wasn't fair," I growl, looking away from him. The way he's looking down at me teasingly makes my face warm and I don't want him to see me blush.

"Hey, hey, you gotta look me in the eye," he mutters, and I squeal as he takes my face in his hand and pulls it to look at him.

I'm red as a tomato and he knows it. He smiles smugly. "Imagine if Enobaria walked in on us like this."

"Don't be stupid," I spit, but Cato just laughs and moves his face a little closer to mine.

"Don't act like you don't like it," He breathes.

I don't know what to say. I've never been in a position like this before.

And then I remember I have. The image of my drunken father flashes back through my mind and i feel my mouth go dry. My heart speeds up and the cold sweat breaks out.

"Off!" I scream, not even realizing I've just shoved Cato away and yelled at him. I right myself and shuffle away from him on the bed, breathing hard. Cato has a stunned look on his face, jaw slightly open. I look away, trying to shove the image out of my head, forget about all those times.

"Clove?" Cato asks quietly. "You...ok?"

"I-I'm fine," I mumble, rubbing my fingers. "I'm fine."

"Yeah, you're not," he grunts. He looks at me, with a knowing look. I have to wonder for a moment...does he know about what my father did?

"It's not your fault," I say.

"Someone hurt you?" His voice is tight and dangerous.

"I-"

"Tell me, Clove."

I cant tell him. I've never told anyone. He'll... not want anything to do with me. He'll judge me. What if-

I look up at him, into his blue eyes. Again, I see something different in them. I see a boy I can trust. One of us is going to be dead in two weeks anyway. Fuck it.

"My dad," I tell him.

I have no time to stop him before he leaps off the bed and starts punching the wall. And he does not stop. Over and over and over until the plaster breaks and his knuckles are bloody. With every punch he seems to grow angrier.

Finally, I run toward him and touch his shoulder. "Cato!" I cry.

He turns around, and I'm almost scared of the look in his eyes. Where a moment ago they were clear and soft, how are they now narrow and filled with hatred? He looks like a vengeful angel. Fallen from Heaven with broken wings.

"Clove," He murmurs. "I didn't mean to..."

"It's ok," I say, and wrap my arms around his torso, placing my head on his chest. His hands immediately hold me close and he places his head on top of mine.

"I won't ever hurt you," he whispers. "Ok? Promise. And I won't let anyone else either."

"The Games-" I begin.

"Fuck that," He says vehemently. "I don't care. I'm going to protect you."

I'm not used to hearing those words. No one has ever protected me. I don't need to be protected. No, not Clove Kentwell. She needs nobody. she has nobody.

But...maybe she does. I look up at Cato, and he has a halo around his head.

"Ok," I say, and press my lips to his.

This kiss is different from the one we shared before. There's a newfound trust between us now, a weight to it all. It's not just a kiss anymore. It's a promise.

Cato pulls me by the waist closer to him. His hands get tangled in my ponytail. His fingers stray to places I didn't even know existed. He kisses me with a conviction that sends my head spinning and makes my knees weak.

When we finally break apart, he breathes in the smell of my hair. I savor the way he holds me. Cato Hadley, my vengeful angel.