Chapter 2- The train

"Dee Fishermen" he smirked.
She clapped her hands excitedly as the mayor told us to shake hands.
I knew who Dee was. He was one of the many who trained illegally for the hunger games. He went to my school many years ago but we never talked since he's so much older than me.
He pried my hands from my sides to shake hands. He was strong, how was I ever supposed to win the games if I had to go up against him.

Right then and there my small hope for ever winning the games snapped. I felt a tear fall down my face for the first time today.

I thought about making a run for it as they pushed us in to the building behind us but remembered the stories that Toby told me about people who tried. I shivered.

The peacekeepers didn't talk as they pushed me into a room filled with velvet couches and fur rugs. Chandleries hung low from the ceiling which looked like they were made from real diamonds. I knelt on the rug, running my fingers through the soft fur.

Click, click

The door slid open and my mother and Toby walked in. I ran into there arms and for what felt like hours we stood and just hugged.
"Listen, your good at fishing and swimming just get near water and eat fish and you'll be fine" Toby said breaking the hug.
"You'll be just fine using a spear, it's just like spearing for fish" my mother inputted. I held back tears. I know that my mother was just barely hanging on and I could bear to see her cry.
"Thank you" I managed to whisper.
"I know you can win" Toby squeezed my arm.
I simply nodded this time not believing the lie he had just told me.

Click

The door opens once again and my family is ripped away from me.
"I love you" I scream and them.
They say it back as the door opens and I can still hear Tony yelling instructions from the hall.
Don't forget you ability to make nets was the last thing I will ever hear from my family. I almost laugh but tears fall down my face instead.

I sat in silence for what felt like hours. I made a effort not to cry. I didn't want people to see me as weak. Maybe Dee had lots of people that wanted to see him. That's why it was taking so long.

I never had friends. I just never had opportunities to. My mother usually pulls me out of school to help her fish.

Click, click

I stood up running to the door. I wondered who it could be. Stumbling back when the door flew out my excitement disappeared when two peacekeepers stood at the door. They didn't speak as they pulled me away from the room into the train.

I was pushed inside the train and once I focused I gasped. The train was made of pure gold. Food lined the walls that could feed district 11 and 12 itself. Dee was already inside. I wondered if the peacekeepers were scared of him. He was huge, muscular and old he would be my pick for the winner.

"Welcome back!" The purple lady squealed.
"My name is Tiffy" she stuck out her hand to shake. No one took it. Cleaning her hand on her dress she spoke again.
"Your mentor Chardor, should be here soon, he's super"
She scanned the train looking for him and if on cue a tall blond strutted towards us.

"Hello" he plummeted on the sofa.
"Let's start. What can you do" he asked us.

Dee went first he explained his skills in knifes and swords. He also mentioned his ability in water and weight. He demonstrated by lifting the empty table across the room. He's just like a career.

When it was my turn I felt like sinking into my seat of embarrassment. After Dee went my meekly 'I can use a spear' sounded like nothing.

"Well that is useful" he pondered.
"The arena this year is in a meadow, it should be useful to know a little spearing to catch fish"
To catch fish. I raised my eyebrow. Not humans? He had no hope in me winning I realized.

By the time our mentor, Chardor finished we had gone through every since survival strategy possible. Dee seemed to already know them all so every once and awhile he would interrupt to try to correct Chardor. I fell into my bed. It was incredibly fluffy. Clothes had already been set in the bathroom which connected to the bedroom. The shower was even better than the bed. Tens of bottons lined the wall. One for soap, conditioner, body lotions, scents and others I didn't know existed. By the time I stepped out of the shower I smelled like roses and my body burned red from the hot water. I collapsed In bed with my new slik pjs.

Too overwhelmed from today I fell asleep quickly thanks to the comfort of the bed.
"Goodnight" I whispered to my family and prayed they would some how say it back to me.

Thank you for reading chapter 2! I promise the next chapter will have more action this one was to fill in information and gaps I missed in to first chapter. Stay safe!