Chapter 4- Training

Today we would be training. I was dressed in a blue sports bra with a light weight jacket paired with black leggings.

Dee was dressed similarly.
"Good morning" I told everyone.
Only Tiffy responded.

"Well isnt this exciting in just 4 days you'll be fighting in the arena, I heard it was very pretty"
Spoke Tiffy.

We ate in silence for the rest of the meal untill Chardor break the awkward silence.

"Try to show off your skills. If you want any chance to be the with careers this is your chance". He spoke mostly to Dee who nodded in response.

When we all finished we were brought to something called a elevator.
Naturally I was terrified to go on but once we reached the bottom I only had one thought.

"Can we do that again!"
Dee rolled his eyes at me.

Ignoring my question Tiffy clipped a number on my back. Number 4.

"Good luck out there!" She cheered as she went back up the elevator without me.

Dee had no trouble locating the careers which consisted of all of district 1 and 2.
I on the other hand had no idea what to do.

In the end I ended up at the fire making station and I found out I was pretty good at it. Well it wouldn't matter anyways Chardor said to never use a fire unless desperately needed. This was to prevent anyone locating you using the smoke.

I headed to the spear throwing next. Unfortunately for me the careers followed. I didn't want to show how scared I was so I picked up a spear and tried throwing it. I managed to hit the target by a thread and was quite proud of myself.

Someone snickered from the careers.
It was Ky from district 1. A girl nudged him on the ribs.
"Not bad" she told me.

I beamed at her and I repeated hitting the target over and over, ignoring the the laughter coming from the careers. I managed to almost hit the bullseye's.

Every training day went like this. I went to the spear room and hit every survival lesson. I even managed to make a difficult snare.

On the last day of training I bumped into the careers once again.
"Nice throwing" one of them laughed. I recognized this voice as Dee. I frowned at him. Today I decided to try out knife throwing.
"Well aren't you the cutest" the same girl who complimented me on spear throwing said pulling and the cheeks.

"Stop it Isla" another girl laughed at her.
"Look at her" she told the group.
"Yeah bet she won't last a day"

I let them push me around. Honestly I was too scared to move. If I walked away they might be insulted and make me a enemy. I was totally scared of them.

But on the other hand if I didn't stand up for myself I would seem weak.

Remembering the knife still in my hands I grasped the handle.
I was about to do something totally crazy.

Taking a deep breath I threw the knife at Dees head. It barely missed.

"What the hell" he screamed at me.
"Don't say that about me" I pretended to pout.

"She's feisty" the girl whom I learned was Isla laughed. While the group laughed at Dee for being so scared of a little girl, I slipped away. I was very grateful my stylist had chosen to make me cute. That could have gone horribly wrong. 

~~~~

The next day everyone sat in a room waiting to be called. Today we would be rated. District 3 had just finished theirs.

Astra Wlith the speaker rang.
It was my turn to go.

I couldn't help but shake in fear.
The door opened for me as it scanned my face.
Capital men sat in a glass chamber high up.

"Astra Wlith" I repeated my name like Chardor told me to. They all turned to face me.

I walked over to the spears. Spear in my hand panic took over. What if they thought I was bad. I shook the thought away not thinking about the consequences of having the worst rating.

Swish

I threw the spear just outside of the bullseye. The men did not seem impressed.
"Thank you" I managed to whisper at them.
I hoped the girl from district 8 was worse.

~~~~

Hours later we sat on the couch once again to look at the ratings. District one both got 9's. I shivered a bit, Dee has been keeping his distance and the same relationship we had was gone.

Next we have Dee from district 4
Caesar said.
A 8! Incredible.

Little miss Astra is next with-
My stomach burst with butterflies
5!

My stomach dropped I was the lowest rated out of all the districts. Even the girl from 8 managed to get a 6.

End of chapter 4