16. It's my fault

My throat is dryer than a desert when I wake up. My head is spinning and it takes a moment or two for me to realize where I am. I'm lying on a bench right next to the children's' playground in the park. Great. If someone sees me sleeping here, they'll think I'm even more of a creep. I force myself to sit up and the second I do so, my stomach growls like an ancient monster. I'm so goddamn hungry. I could eat a horse. 

I look up at the sky and it's sunny today. There's no one around yet, so I assume it's still pretty early in the morning. I slouch down on the bench, letting out a long breath. I have to find something to eat but my pockets are empty. I don't have a single coin on me. With an exaggerated sob, I lean back my head against the backrest and close my eyes. 

Maybe the easiest is to starve to death? I could just stay here and fade away. Either that or someone will walk by and take me to the police or a hospital. Those would only be temporary fixes though. 

My eyes fly open when I suddenly feel something poking my leg. I look down and see my younger self staring up at me with the typical big eyes of curiosity. Little Jungkook is using a stick to poke me. Feels ironic considering my battles with a damn stick yesterday. 

"Mister, what are you doing here?" he asks. 

"I could ask you the same thing," I answer with a hoarse voice. After all the screaming and panting yesterday along with me thirsting to death, my throat is going through it right now.

"I woke up early and wanted to go play while there's no one here. The other kids don't usually come here before school."

"I see. You're still trying to avoid your bullies?"

"No, I'm not scared of them anymore after you helped me. I just prefer playing alone."

"You sure? Playing with other people is usually more fun."

He pouts while thinking and subconsciously keeps poking my leg with the stick. It hurts a little. 

"Would you like to play with me?" he asks. 

"Sorry, kiddo, I don't have the energy right now. Although..." A brilliant idea strikes me and a smile spreads on my lips. "Say what, if you get me something to eat, I can play with you for as long as you want. Sounds like a deal?"

He mulls it over and eventually digs around in his pockets and bring out a couple small coins.

"What do you want to eat? This is all I have."

From the looks of it, it's barely enough for a sandwich, but I'll take literally anything edible right now. I take the coins from him and stand up. I don't even feel that bad for taking money from a child. I mean, it's my own money. 

"Thanks, Jungkook, I'll head on over to a nearby store and... and..."

He looks at me with worry as my body begins to sway. I blink and next thing I know I'm face-down on the ground with Jungkook vigorously shaking me. I roll over to my side and he wipes some dirt off my face.

"Mister! Are you alive?! What happened?!"

"Ugh, I think... I must've fainted. I haven't eaten in a while and then I stood up too fast. Sorry, Jungkook, do you think you can go buy something for me? I need to rest."

With a shaky hand I give the coins back to him. He gives me a firm nod in return. 

"Don't worry, Mister, I'll save you! Don't go anywhere!"

"I wasn't planning on it," I mumble but he's already on his way. I stay on the ground, watching the clouds as they slowly move by. Time passes in a blur, probably because I'm so exhausted that my vision is blurry.