#3

(Source: Philip Norman, John Lennon: The Life, 2008)

John was never closer to Paul than during these weeks. Though hotly competetive in songs they wrote individually outside the studio, they remained a matchless team within it, each working unselfishly to set off the other's latest brainwave at its best. Paul composed a piping intro for Lowry organ that established the drowsy riverbank atmosphere of 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' before John had sung a word; he also contributed to the lyric, supplying 'Cellophane flowers' and 'newspaper taxis' to set alongside John's 'tangerine trees' and 'marmalade skies'. A half-finished song in the McCartney bottom drawer became the urgent, real-world middle passage of 'A Day in the Life' ('Woke up, fell out of bed...') that is so inspired a contrast to its out of body languor. John and Paul together devised the lyric's final touch: the drawn-out, syllable-stretching sigh of 'I'd love to tu-u-rn you-ou-ou-ou o-o-on...' Paul remembers how at the microphone they exchanged a glance, as if to say 'Should we really go on with this?' The 'nice' Beatle was as sure as the 'rebel' one that they should.

Comment and vote
Thank u
Love u all
-Peanut Out