Chapter Eight

*Zev*

"What is wrong with you?" Rafe hissed as he finally managed to pull me away.

"She is not going to that guy's house," I snarled. "Let me go, I need to find her."

"I thought you were going to leave her alone," Rafe said in exasperation.

"Does it look like I can leave her alone?" I snapped. "I want to tear that jerk's head off for speaking to her, for inviting her over to his place!" I was actually seething at the thought of that boy pursuing Liana. And then she just brushed me off, not that I didn't understand why she did but still.

"I really don't understand this," Rafe said with a shake of his head. "I've never seen you like this. I've never seen or heard of a shifter who acted like this over a human."

I paced back and forth, trying to calm the feeling of fury I felt over the thought of Liana spending time with another guy. Dating him...kissing him...no, I wouldn't let that happen. I didn't care that she wasn't a shifter, didn't care that I might have a true mate out there somewhere. I wanted Liana. Unfortunately, I may have ruined any chance I had with her.

"Why don't we let our wolves go for a run after school?" Rafe suggested. "Give you a chance to clear your mind?"

"Sounds good," I sighed.

*Liana*

That afternoon instead of heading straight home, I decided to go into the woods and do some sketching. I had planned to go tomorrow but after the terrible day I had had, I needed the distraction. It was my first chance to some exploring and take in the beauty of nature. I walked past several tall trees and breathed in the earthy scent of moss and pine, which reminded me of Zev... No, I told herself. No thinking about him right now. No thinking about him ever. Instead, I found a tree and sat down, leaning back against it and opening my sketch pad. It was nice here, peaceful, I could hear the birds singing and the sound of a stream nearby. Looking around, I decided to sketch the squirrel that was peeking out from a bush across from me. I grinned and was about to start sketching when the squirrel suddenly ran out of sight before I could even blink. I frowned. Had I somehow startled it? I hadn't been making any noise...

Suddenly I heard a rustling sound and could only watch in horror and fascination as a large, black wolf appeared. I wanted to scream, to get up and start running but I couldn't move. This wolf was huge! I was transfixed as I stared into the wolf's amber eyes. "Hello," I whispered. I cringed, expecting the wolf to attack. When it didn't, I relaxed slightly. Maybe...maybe it was used to seeing people? Maybe it wouldn't hurt me? I almost felt like I had seen it before. But that was ridiculous, I had never seen a wolf up close before. I felt my heart pounding and it was like something deep inside me was yearning to be free.

I stared at the wolf, it was so magnificent and almost...commanding? Yes, a commanding presence. Well, it is a wolf, I thought. I was probably invading its territory and started to get to my feet when another wolf appeared. It too was large, a black and brown color and gave a small snarl when it saw me.

The black wolf turned and growled at the brown wolf, a low and dangerous sound and the other wolf immediately lowered its head and backed away and out of sight.

I quickly got to my feet and not taking my eyes off the beautiful animal, I slowly backed away. "I'm leaving," I said softly, my voice slightly trembling. "This must be your area and I'm intruding right? I'm sorry, I'll..." I shook my head. Great, now I was babbling to a wolf. A few more steps and I was out of the woods and running home .Once there, I shut myself in my room, gasping and shaking. Wolves, I had come face to face with two wolves! But they hadn't hurt me. In fact, it almost seemed like the black wolf had been protecting me. Ridiculous, I thought as I sank onto my bed. I stared at my sketchbook for a moment as my heartbeat returned to normal. Remembering the gorgeous looking wolf, I opened up the book and began to sketch.