Chapter Fourteen

*Liana*

I should have gone to Zev's to study, I thought as I quickly stuffed my sketchbook into my purse and grabbed my keys. I had come home to do some chores for my aunt only to have Aunt Carol come home early from work, make a mess in the living room and kitchen and then complain that the house wasn't clean. I had gritted my teeth and cleaned the rooms again only then to have my aunt order me to make her dinner. Frustrated with my aunt's attitude, I had told her that I was going out which caused her to throw a fit and call me ungrateful, telling me that I owed her for taking me in all those years ago. I was used to my aunt having me do a lot of chores and cook for me but it was rare for my aunt to throw it in my face that she had taken me in after my parents had died.

"Aunt Carol, I'm going out for a bit but I can whip up some chicken stir-fry for you," I offered, hoping to ease things over.

Aunt Carol pursed her lips. "Oh no, Liana. I wouldn't want to put you out. I just support you, take care of you... no, you shouldn't feel obliged to me or anything." She snapped.

"Aunt Carol," I said, struggling not to lose my patience.

"Selfish, just like your mother," Aunt Carol spat out. "You're becoming just like her," She muttered.

Furious, I didn't say anything in response, I simply walked out of the house, slamming the door behind me. I stumbled a bit as I walked, not even aware of my surroundings as I stewed over my aunts mean comment. I knew my aunt didn't like my mother, that had been made clear to me over the years. And obviously, I only had a couple of memories of my parents and they were fleeting. But somehow I knew my parents had been good and kind. I just knew it. My aunt had never treated me as someone she cared about and I had resigned myself to that a long time ago. She had taken me in when I was four years old, yet never treated me like a daughter. The only time I had felt my aunt cared about me was when she had given me my necklace. I fingered it absentmindedly as I realized that I was approaching the woods already. I felt a little lightheaded and shook my head to try and clear it. Drawing will relax me, I thought. I paused as I remembered how Zev felt about me entering the woods alone. I smiled as I thought about my overprotective boyfriend. He was my boyfriend, right? We hadn't really discussed it but after the date, the amazing kiss and his concern for my safety... Now there was someone who cared about me. I pulled out my phone and sent him a text, telling him where I was and asking him if he could meet me. He quickly responded for me to wait and he would get here soon. I found a bench nearby and sat to wait.

I glanced at my watch and frowned. Zev still hadn't shown up. I really wanted to get some sketching done before it got dark. Biting my lip, I decided to to head in. I wouldn't go too far and I had my phone with me. Zev would probably show up soon. After deciding which tree to sketch, I sat on a log and began. I had only been at it a couple of minutes when I heard a noise. Looking up, I saw a gray wolf staring at me. It began to snarl and took a step closer.

Unlike the black wolf I had seen, this one didn't give me the feeling that it wouldn't hurt me. I froze, staring as the wolf gave a low growl and took another step towards me.

I slowly stood up, not taking my eyes off the wolf as I began to take a few steps back. "Easy. I'm leaving, okay? I won't hurt you," I tried to make my voice come out smoothly but it instead it was shaky. Suddenly I heard someone calling out for me. The wolf snarled and moved towards me again. I gave a scream and turned to run.

"Liana?" Zev's voice, sounding frantic, shouted through the woods.

"Zev, run!  There's a wolf!" I yelled in warning when I saw him rushing towards me. I watched in shock when suddenly Zev made a running leap into the air and seemed to blur, resulting in... a black wolf now standing protectively in front of me, growling at the gray wolf.