-1-

Detention

"Saturday, March 24th, 1984. Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois, 60062. Dear Mr. Vernon. We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did was wrong but we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, with the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, a psychopath, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7 o' clock this morning. We were brainwashed."

Two boys around the age of seventeen walked alongside each other, well one of them did, the other rolled. The slightly shorter of the two was rolling down the sidewalk on his skateboard in a slow pace so the other wouldn't have to struggle to keep up. The two didn't even bat an eye when they crossed the road, causing a car to almost hit them in the process. Yet neither of them flinched and merely kept going. When they reached the entrance of the school the boy in the skateboard didn't bother picking his board up and just rolled through the hallways without a care in the world. The other boy followed suit and after a minute or two they reached their destinition. The library. They were forced to spend their whole day in the library for detention, a Saturday at that. When they walked in the taller one of the two already couldn't keep his hands to himself and repositioned some stuff on the front desk of the library. There was also a cd on it, which was soon shoved into the boy's long coat. Three other teens were already seated at the tables in front of the two boys, a boy and a girl at the very front with one seat between them and another boy behind them. John, the taller of the two that just walked in, motioned for the boy that sat alone to move seats and the boy didn't even protest before walking off to another table. The shorter of the two, named Oliver, watched with raised eyebrows before plopping down next to his brother, John. John pulled out another chair and to let his feet rest on while Oliver dropped his board on the table. They all looked up when another girl walked in and dropped some of her notebooks onto a table a few rows behind them. She was clad in all black and her raven hair hung over her face, she didn't speak a word and just turned around so her back was now facing the other teens. A few seconds later vice principal Vernon walked in with some papers in hand.
"Well, well. Here we are. I wanna congratulate you for being on time." The man spoke and Oliver already had the urge to roll his eyes, this was gonna be a long day.
"Excuse me, sir? I think there's been a mistake. I know it's detention, but I don't think I belong in here." The red-headed girl stuck up her hand which caused Oliver and John to share an annoyed look.
"It is now 7:06. You have exactly eight hours and fourty-five minutes to think about why you're here. Ponder the error of your ways." As Vernon spoke John leaned his head back and spit in the air, catching the spit back in his mounth after it fell down again and his brother chuckled at it.
"You may not talk." Vernon pointed towards the red-head.
"You will not move from these seats." He continued with a pointed glare towards the scrawny kid that was about to move to another chair, it was the same kid John had forced out of his seat earlier Oliver noted.
"And you two will not sleep." He walked over to the Bender brothers' table and grabbed the chair from under John's feet.
"All right, people, we're going to try something a little different today. We are going to write an essay of no less then a thousend words, describing to me who you think you are." He started handing out the papers.
"Is this a test?" Oliver glared at the man.
"And when I say essay, I mean essay." The man simply ignored the boy and as he turned his back John lifted his feet up once again but let them drop in his brothers lap this time.
"I do not mean a single word repeated a thousend times. Is that clear, misters Bender?" He looked up at the brothers.
"Crystal." The boys spoke in sync.
"Good. Maybe you'll learn something about yourself." 
"Doubt that." Oliver muttered under his breath.
"Maybe you'll even decide wheter or not you care to return." The man spoke once again and as he finished talking the scrawny boy raised his hand as he stood up.
"I can answer that right now, sir. That'd be a 'No.' for me, 'cause.." The boy trailed off.
"Sit down, Johnson." Vernon ordered.
"Thank you, sir." The boy sat down again.
"My office is right across that hall. Any monkey-business is ill-advised. Any questions?" Everyone nodded their heads except for the Benders.
"Yeah. I got a question." John spoke up.
"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?" Oliver grinned at his brother when he spoke.
"I'll give you the answer to that question, Mr. Bender, next Saturday." Vernon answered.
"Aw man, I wanted to know the answer too!" 
"Then I'll be happy to give it to you too. Next Saturday." Vernon glared at the other boy.
"Don't mess with the bull, young man, you'll get the horns." He pointed at Oliver.
"Did he just refer to himself as a bull?" Oliver looked at his brother.
"I think he just did." John turned to his brother and they both started laughing quietly.
"That man is a Brownie Hound." John pointed out when Vernon walked away.
They sat in silence for a moment until they heard a weird noise coming from the back, more precisely coming from the girl seated in the back. Everyone turned to stare at her and Oliver frowned. When he looked more closely he saw the girl was biting her nails and it seemed the others noticed too. She stopped momentarily to look at the teens starring at her with shock before she continued once again.
"You keep eating your hand, you're not going to be hungry for lunch." John frowned at her but she didn't move to stop, instead she spit out a nail towards him.
"I've seen you before, you know." John pointed out and Oliver noticed Vernon watching them before the man turned back again.
"Who I think I am. Who are you? Who are you? I am a walrus." The scrawney boy was muttering to himself as he trapped his bottom lip in the cap of his pen.
John stared at him in disbelief and the boy turned his head to look back at him. Oliver on the other hand, was smiling and barely containing his laughter. The boy seemed intresting to him. Said boy awkwardly pulled off the cap as John continued glaring then proceeded to take of his jacket at the same time John was, causing John's glare to become more fierce so the boy pulled his jacket up again.
"It's the shits, huh?" The Johnson boy spoke up towards John, this time Oliver did let a small laugh escape and the Johnson turned his gaze towards him surprised. 
After the Johnson turned back again Oliver scrunched up his paper and threw it over the red-heads head. Then his brother started humming a song loudly and playing air-guitar. Oliver shook his head with a small chuckle and the red-headed princess spoke up.
"I can't believe this is really happening to me." She sighed.
"Oh, shit!" John suddenly exclaimed, startling his brother in the process.
"What are we supposed to do if we have to take a piss?" He asked loudly while turning to look at everyone.
"Dude!" Oliver smacked his shoulder.
"If you got to go, you got to go." John shrugged and unzipped his pants.
"Oh, my God." The red-head said in disgust.
"You're not urinating in here, man." The athletic boy next to her spoke up.
"Yeah, JJ, that's gross man." Oliver agreed.
"Don't talk. Don't talk. It makes it crawl back up." John shushed his brother.
"You whip it out, you're dead before the first drop hits the floor." The athletic boy, his last name was Clark if Oliver remembered correctly, threatened.
"You're pretty sexy when you get angry." John looked over at the boy and growled.
"Hey, homeboy, why don't you go close that door? We'll get the prom queen impregnated." John looked at Johnson before looking at the red-head princess. 
Oliver started laughing at his brothers words and hit the table a few times, the others, aside from John, had no clue what was so funny about it but didn't dare ask.
"If I lose my temper you're totaled, man." Clark spoke to John.
"Totally?" John asked.
"Totally." Clark leaned towards him in his chair.
"Why don't you just shut up? Nobody here's intrested." The princess snapped at John.
"I am!" Oliver raised his hand with a grin making the princess roll her eyes.
"Buttface." Clark muttered childishly.
"Hey sporto, what'd you do to get in here? Forget to wash your jock?" Oliver snapped back.
"Uh, excuse me fellows, I think we should just write our papers." Brian spoke up.
"Just because you live in here, doesn't give you the right to be a pain in the ass. So knock it off!" Clark glared at the Benders.
"It's a free country." Oliver shrugged.
"He's just doing it to get a rise out of you. Just ignore him." The princess spoke up.
"Red-head, you couldn't ignore us even if you wanted to." Oliver told her with pride.
"So.." John said.
"So." He repeated.
"Are you guys like boyfriend-girlfriend? Steady dates? Lovers?" He asked shamelessly.
"Come on sporto, level with me. Do you slip her the hot-beef injection?" He continued mocking them.
"GO TO HELL!" "ENOUGH!" The red-head and Clark shouted at him.
"Hey! What's going on in there?" The teens heard Vernon shout from his office.
Oliver stood up from his chair and grabbed his board from the table. He let it fall on purpose and as soon as it touched the ground he placed his foor on it and pushed off.
"What do you say we close that door?" He offered as he rolled around the tables.
"Won't be able to have any fun with Vernon checking us every few seconds."
"You know the door's supposed to stay open." Brian said.
"So what?" John countered.
"So why don't you two just shut up? There's four other people here, y'know?"
"God, you can count. See, I knew you had to be smart to be a wrestler." John chimed.
John also stood up and walked over to a railing, he jumped up and pushed himself on so he was seated on it. At the same time Oliver rolled past him so they high-fived before the boy rolled away again. Oliver leaned to the left and turned slightly, making his way towards Johnson. He stopped right in front of the boy and kicked his board up before seating himself on the table. The boy looked up at him nervously and gulped. 
"What's your name?" Oliver asked quietly while his brother and the others were fighting again.
"Wh- Brian." The boy sputtered quickly.
"Cool." Oliver winked at him with a genuine smile.