-6-

Helping out

Eventually the Benders calmed down and joined the others again, right now they were preparing to get out of the library. John opened the door to see Vernon rounding a corner, walking away from his office to find some coffee. John sneaked into the halway and Claire was next to come out. Then Brian, Oliver, Andrew and the other girl followed.
"How do you know where Vernon went?" Claire asked.
"I don't." John didn't spare her a glance, still a bit bitter about earlier.
"Then how do you know when he'll be back?" Claire asked again.
"I don't." She got the same reply.
"Being bad feels pretty good, huh?" He now turned his head to look at the girl.
"What's the point of going to your brother's locker?" Brian was walking next to Oliver, who was trying not to pay attention to the former.
"Beats me." He shrugged, looking directly ahead of him.
"This is so stupid. Why are we risking getting cought?" Brian shook his head.
"I don't know." Oliver picked up his pace a little.
"Then what are we doing?" Brian catched up to him.
"You ask one more question and I'm beating the shit out of you." Oliver stopped right in his tracks to look at Brian with a fierce glare.
Brian frowned, what was Oliver so angry at him for? Oliver noticed the boy's conflicted face and his gaze softened.
"Look, I'm sorry, okay? It's just.. I'm not good with negative emotions and all so.." Oliver trailed off, that seemed to do the trick as Brian's face immediatly lit up.
"Now let's go and do whatever dumb shit my stupid brother is planning, yeah?" Oliver smiled.
Brian nodded his head and the two started walking again, the others were pretty far ahead off them since they had just kept walking so the duo made sure to hurry up. When they reached the others John had just opened his locker and was pulling out a bag from the upper part of the locker. Oliver realized what he wanted to grab when he recognized the bag, Oliver had been the one to give him the bag in the first place after all.
"You're such a slob." Andrew scolded John for his messy locker.
"My maid's on vacation." John joked as he pulled a bag out of the bag and then another, then another and then another, finally he pulled out a ducktaped package and handed it over to his brother so he could close his locker.
"It's drugs." Brian sniffed.
"Screw that Bender, put it back." Andrew's eyes widened.
"Drugs. The boys have marijuana." Brian was still shocked, which amused Oliver.
The twins started walking away and luckily the others didn't take long to follow.
"We'll cross through the lab, and then we'll double back." Oliver formed a plan as he and his brother walked up front.
"You better be right. If Vernon cuts us off, it's all your fault, asshole." Andrew was hesitant to trust the boy.
They kept walking until Oliver spotted Vernon walking with his back at the teens so they started running so as to not get seen. They ran and slid across the halls, trying to find a way back to the library without getting cought, and though they would never admit it, they were all having fun in doing so.
"Wait. Wait hold it." Oliver stopped them.
"We have to go through the cafeteria." He pointed the other way.
"No, the activities hall." Andrew disagreed.
"Hey, you don't know what you're talking about. I've done this before, have you?" Oliver held out his hand.
"We're through with listening to you. We're going this way. You go where you want, mother hen. Come on!" Andrew nodded the opposite direction before taking off in a run, the others following after him this time.
John and Oliver shared a look before following with a sigh, Oliver knew this wasn't gonna end well.
They ran as fast as they could but eventually had to stop because there was a fence stopping them from continuing into the hallway they needed to go, just like Oliver had predicted.
"Shit. Great idea, jag-off." John shook the fence.
"Fuck you." Andrew looked at him.
"Fuck you why didn't you listen to Oliver." Claire spoke up.
"We're dead." Brian panicked.
"No, just me." Oliver sighed as he decided to help the others out after everything.
He grabbed Brian's shoulder and turned the boy to face him, before he could say anything Oliver spoke up.
"Get back to the library. Keep your unit out of it." Oliver ordered.
He grabbed the bottom of Brian's sweater and pulled it up slightly before pulling him closer by the loops on his pants. He looked the boy straight in the eye as he pulled the waistband of Brian's pants and boxers forwards and shoved the packaged drugs in. He lowered the sweater then patter Brian's shoulder before sprinting off. He started singing loudly when he was a good distance away from the others so Vernon would come after him, to make even more noise he started trailing his hand along the lockers because he knew the noise would echo through the empty hallways. At some point he also started tearing down posters while he ran and throwing them around. Eventually he reached the school's gym and picked up a basketball, starting to play around with it as he waited for Vernon to catch up to him.
Bender! Bender! What is this? What are you doing here?" Vernon shouted when he walked throught he door.
"Hi." Oliver bounced the ball around.
"Out. That's it Bender. Out! It's over." Vernon pointed at the door.
"Don't you wanna hear my excuse?" Oliver spinned the ball on one of his fingers.
"Out." Vernon didn't leave any room for an argument.
"I'm thinking of trying out for a scholarship." He ignored the man.
"Give me the ball, Bender. Give me that ball." He held out his hand for the boy to hand it over.
Oliver didn't put up much of a fight but he did just have to dunk the ball through the net once before throwing it to a corner and walking towards Vernon. They walked out of the gym together, going back towards the library.

After a minute or two the two walked through the library doors, one with a frown the other with a smug look of victory. John grinned when he saw the smirk on his brother's face and silently thanked him.
"Get your stuff. Let's go." Vernon pushed Oliver forwards.
"Mr. Wise guy here's taken upon himself to go to the gymnasium. I'm sorry to inform you, you're going to be without his services for the rest of the day." Vernon informed the others who quickly started frowning upon hearing that.
Oliver ignored those words and sat down in his seat though.
"B-O-O-H-O-O" He spelled.
"Everything's a big joke, huh, Bender? The window you broke yesterday, the way you threatened your English teacher with one of the glass shards.. Being a psychopath real funny isn't it?" Vernon glared at him.
"What if your home.. What if your family.. What if your dope was on fire?" Vernon had to correct himself a few times.
"Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear." John pointed out, causing some of the others to let out sniggers and Brian to flush.
"You think they're funny? You think this is cute? You think those two are bitching? Is that it? Let me tell you something. Look at them. They're bums. You wanna see something funny? You just go visit John and Oliver Bender in five years. You'll see how goddamn funny they are." Vernon turned the mood dark quickly.
"You mean visit my grave?" Oliver muttered under his breath, noticing Vernon walkin up to him.
"What's the matter, Ollie? You going to cry?" He mocked the boy.
"Shut up. You don't get to call me that." Oliver barked back.
"Let's go." He grabbed Oliver's arm.
"Hey keep your fucking hands off of me!" Oliver shot out of his chair.
"I expected better manners from you, Dick." Oliver grabbed his jacket and skateboard and started walking, when he neared Brian he stopped and lifted his arm up, placing his board in front of Brian with a small smile.
"Take care of that for me too, will ya?" Oliver said soflty and ruffled the boy's hair.
Then they started walking again, Vernon and him. He pushed all kinds of stuff off the desks he passed.