Three

T H R E E

.....

I had a nasty pain in my body. My back, my feet, my arms, my neck, every part of my body hurt and my stiff legs refused to walk any further. Never had I ever done such vigorous exercise in my entire life.

Quickly, I turned the doorknob and stepped inside my house. Mom had already left for her work and it was a habit for me to keep spare keys. 

Not waiting a minute longer, I walked into my room. It took a lot of effort, but eventually I made it and as soon as I entered my bedroom, I heaved a sigh of relief. My room was my favorite place after the kitchen. 

The walls were shades of hot pink and cold gray. There was a small window across from the door and wind chimes were hung from that window. I smiled when I saw the cute laughing Buddha on my bedside table.

After taking a much-needed shower, I felt at ease. I picked up some of my favorite comics from the shelf and lay on my comfy bed. Opening the drawer of my bedside table, I took out a pack of taco cheese Doritos and two bars of Snickers. I knew that mom had already prepared food for me, but I chose not to eat that.

I placed my large pillows behind my back and started reading the comics. Engrossing myself in the interesting comics helped me to alleviate my body pain.

Somewhere, I felt bad. I kind of knew I shouldn't eat such snacks, but I couldn't control myself. All that exercising had given me an insatiable appetite. I was feeling weak and in order to gain power, I had to eat Doritos. I had to...

*****

The light blue sky was cloudless, a soothing breeze was blowing and the fragrance of the flowers helped to calm my senses. 

The second day at the fitness camp was no different. We started with the same cross toe touches and again I couldn't touch my toes without bending my knees. Hence, once again, I opted for the shortcut. Olive, on the other hand, was doing everything pretty well. She had always been the athletic type.

She shook her head, looking at me.

"Don't give me that look," I muttered.

She rolled her eyes at me. "You're such a lazy cow."

I didn't let Olive's words affect me. Ignoring her completely, I kept on doing my own easy exercises. Not everyone is equally flexible and when I could touch my toes in my own way, I didn't think Olive should've a problem with that.

Someone cleared their throat and I turned my head.

Jesse was standing there, looking intently at me. His hair was styled to perfection, making him look even cuter. 

I shrugged my shoulders, trying to ask him what he wanted to say. Actually, I knew exactly what was on his mind, but I pretended otherwise.

"Do not bend your knees," he said.

"How am I supposed to touch my toes when I can't even bend my knees?" I asked, shrugging.

He ran his hand through his hair. "Why don't you just try it?"

He looked into my eyes and that was when I noticed his beautiful green eyes. He motioned for me to carry on with the exercise and sighing, I bent down. My hands couldn't reach my toes and I mentally cursed myself. I stood straight, feeling frustrated because I couldn't even do such an easy task.

I threw my hands in the air. "See?"

"Try it again."

"What?" I sighed in exasperation.

"You heard me. Go ahead," he smiled.

I realized that it was futile trying to say no to him. I bent again and before I could get up, Jesse pushed me down with his hand. I blushed crimson, feeling his hand on my back. Although my lower back hurt, I didn't really mind. 

A few seconds later, he removed his hand.

Taking a deep breath, I stood up straight.

I didn't know what it was about him that made me so giggly on the inside. Was it his dazzling smile or was it his gorgeous eyes?

"See, it wasn't that difficult, right?" 

"Yeah-"

I was cut off by Christine's loud voice.

"Now, I want all of you to take two rounds of the park!"

I placed my hands on my waist. "How annoying is she? Do this and do that! Blah, blah, blah." 

"I agree," Olive snickered.

"She's my mom."

Both of us snapped our heads in Jesse's direction. We looked at him in bewilderment. 

Christine was his mom? I couldn't believe my ears. On top of that, I couldn't believe my tongue for making such an idiotic comment. I was, no doubt, one hell of a clumsy girl. 

He hated me now. Unwillingly, I kissed Jesse and my future friendship goodbye.

Before I could say anything else, Christine's voice interrupted us yet again. 

Jesse had joined the other trainers and we started jogging around the huge park.

"You should think twice before you speak," Olive huffed.

"You too agreed with me," I snapped back.

"Calm down, Shrek," she giggled.

"Call me that again and I swear-"

"Move fast girls!" Mark yelled at us.

Someone blew the whistle again, startling me.

I started out slowly, but I had to build up my speed. We had taken one round nonstop and soon my feet gave up. I found it difficult to breathe and felt light headed. 

I craved for oxygen, so I placed my hand on my knees. Beads of sweat trickled down my forehead and my body temperature rose suddenly. All of a sudden, my knees felt wobbly and the sun's scorching rays added more to my troubles.

"Are you okay, Liz?" Olive asked, rubbing my back.

"Yeah," I breathed out.

She gave me a water bottle. Opening its cap, I gulped down the cold water. 

I tried to calm myself down, keeping my head straight. Jogging wasn't as easy as it seemed.

"Lizzie, we have to do one more round."

"Okay," I mumbled.

Honestly, I had no strength left to go for one more round, but I didn't want to be tagged as the loser. Just one more round... Just one more round... I chanted in my head.

I failed to convince myself that I could do it because my legs had given up already. Thus, I sat down on the cool grass and crossed my legs. I told Olive to go and continue her jogging. 

There I was, sitting alone with a water bottle.

.....

Hey! I hope you liked this chapter. Feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions. I'd appreciate that a lot!

Thank you! :D