Chapter 2

As soon as the bell rang for lunch, everyone walked out of the class and filled the corridors as they went to the cafeteria.

I saw Fawn seated at our usual spot with some notebooks scattered across the table and made my way there.

The others were either not here yet or were just in the queue to buy lunch. She squealed and immediately turned to me bouncing in her seat.

"How was it?" I asked.

"Well, he looked up at me and said, 'This is not what I was expecting from you, Ms. Miller.' And then he looked back to the representation and said 'I don't think anybody has ever described the Maple High like this before.'" She narrated.

"He said and I quote, 'This is phenomenal.'" She squealed and continued, "Can you believe it? He said my work was phenomenal!!"

"I don't doubt him. Your are good at designing and your writing skills are awesome." I commented.

Amber, Adam and Apollo returned at this moment. "What are we talking about?", Amber asked as she began munching on her fries.

Before any of us could reply, I felt my phone vibrate and saw it was mom's call so I stood up and walked away from the table.

"Yes mom."

"Sweetheart, I'm gonna be home late. I gotta head to RMC regarding my past patients." RMC, Ridgeview Medical Center, was the hospital mom previously worked at. She was a psychodynamic therapist.

People often said she had her way with patients and that her healing methods worked like magic, but in reality, she was really good at empathizing and she had a lot of patience.

"Alright. I was gonna head to Invictus after school anyways like usual. I will just stay there longer before I leave for home." I told her.

"Okay. Don't leave too late okay? Get home before it gets dark. And you have the keys right?" She asked with her usual mother concern.

"Yes mom, I won't leave too late and yes I have the keys."

She sighed, "Okay. Leave me a message when you leave Invictus and reach home okay?"

"Got it ma'am." I said teasingly before hanging.

When I returned to the table, Amber turned to me and asked, "Who was it?"

"Mom." I answered her.

"What'd she say?" Apollo looked at me while biting his apple.

"She said she is gonna be late tonight." I shrugged. "Something about needing to go to RMC for some past work."

"Ah yeah. It's been almost two years since she transferred from there to Hope Valley Hospital. She isn't having any problems with work is she?" Fawn frowned.

Her random question confused me and had my eyebrows scrunched. "No. Why would you ask that?"

"Well last time we met her, she told us she reduced her working hours and she looked a little upset. We thought she was just having a bad day. But she was the same when we saw her after Amber's mom's exhibition."

I knew what they were talking about. Mom really hasn't been the same after the little reunion she had with certain someone she never told me about. But that wasn't something I wanted to think about. As much as I wanted to help her with it, I knew sometimes it's hard to overcome feelings you've been carrying for years now.

So I decided to divert their attention from that matter. "No, she is fine. She is just a little stressed cause of her work. It's been a little hard on her with all that she's been doing."