Chapter 3

I groaned in pain. My head hurt like a bitch. I could hear some voices too. I could feel the tight restriction around my wrists.

And not just my head, but apparently my limbs hurt too. And breathing feels like a task.

Jesus, it was real huh? Couldn't it have been a nightmare?

I threw my head back trying to ease the pounding headache and tried to open my eyes, slowly adjusting them to the bright light shining just above my head.

"Amora?" I turned towards the direction of the voice and saw Mom on the couch with her wrists tied behind her back. She had a cut on her lip and her eyes looked swollen, like she had been crying. "Sweetheart, are you okay? Does it hurt too much?"

Looks like Mom got here before they could finish what they were here for, whatever it was, or even before they could deal with me, so that's what they did to her.

Before I could respond to what she asked, one of those idiots opened their mouths, "Ah! Look, sleeping beauty has awoken."

"What did you do to my Mom? Don't even touch her again." I grumbled. I tried moving my hands but it felt like I was pulling the rope tighter with every effort I made to loosen it.

"Don't touch her." Mom requested when she saw the same man who spoke before, the very same man I punched earlier, walk towards me with a glint in his eyes. Her eyes were filled with fear and tears that wouldn't stop falling. One tear after another.

"Like we said earlier, we are not here to harm her. But there is no problem in a little gazing and grazing here and there right?"

I looked at him straight in the eyes, trying to figure out what trick he had under his sleeve. But my attention soon swerved to Mom when I heard her.

"Why did he send you here? What does he want?"

It wasn't only my attention she gained though. The man standing in front of me turned to her too.

He? Who is she talking about? Did she know them?

"Mom, who are you talking about? Do you know what this is all about?" I asked her confused. But another one of them, the one who held me wrists when they tackled me, just looked at her with his eyebrows raised, surprised.

"I see you haven't told your daughter anything about this world. She should at least know of the dangers she has been in since birth. It's terrible that you hid all this from her." He commented and paused before turning back to her with an even more curious expression, tilting his head to point towards me, "Does she at least know of her family out there?"

Family? What family? Mom is the only family I ha-

'She has Vincenzo's blood after all.'
'I wouldn't expect anything less from a Visconti.'

I recall hearing about this before I fainted. Was this man referring to him? To Vincenzo?

Still confused, I turned to her, "Mom, what are they talking about? I don't understand anything. What family do I have out there?", I felt like a big boulder was going to fall on my shoulders. I understood the idea of a father. Everyone had one, even if they didn't live together.

But family? This was new.

"Sweetheart, I will tell you everything later. I promise. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this." She cried. She turned back to those men and asked again, "What does he want?"

"Simple. He wants you. Dead." The one who straddled me shrugged nonchalantly.

I froze.

Mom stilled too. She stopped crying as she looked up at them. She looked shocked but she seemed to be processing it. Like it was something she expected.