Chapter 21: Porcelain Dress

The storm had settled down, but it was still raining.

Fate gave Dean a lift to the same apartment building she had dropped him off when she had first found him at that bus stop in the pouring rain.

As Dean waved her goodbye, Fate had a déjà-vu, but something felt off - something had changed.

Her eyes widened when she noticed the soft ripple in time. Even though it was small, it was big enough to change the history of humankind.

Fate hit the accelerator paddle and the cab sped away.

☆*:. 🎶.:*☆

As usual none of the lights in the apartment building worked, so guided by a pale moon hiding behind passing clouds, Dean fumbled his way up the stairs and to his apartment.

He carefully avoided tripping over the black cat laying at the top of the stairs and almost had a heart attack when the gray cat from apartment 3B swung her tail in his face.

"Please be careful, Kitty," Dean said softly as he petted the gray cat. "Are you hungry? You too, Shady?" he asked as he turned to the black cat laying at the top of the stairs.

Shady opened their eyes, stretched and mewed.

"I'll take that as a yes," Dean said as he opened his apartment door. "Now come on in, you two. Let's get you some food."

He turned around and scanned the hallway. "Did any of you see Gigi?"

"Meow!" A ginger cat walked with its tail held high towards Dean.

"There you are, buddy! I was getting worried when I didn't see you downstairs." Dean petted Gigi.

Shady had waggled towards Dean too. They stood on their hind legs and Dean gently rubbed their head.

"Come on, everyone, let's get some dinner."

Dean filled three bowls with cat food and another three with cat milk. He got himself some cornflakes and ate it in his bed.

With the spoon held in his mouth, he grabbed a pencil, some music paper and his guitar and - inspired by his conversation with Fate - wrote a whole new kind of song for him, a rock song.

✨🎶🎵🎶✨

People say
she's a porcelain doll,
But they don't seem
to get her at all

She's strong, she's smart with a golden heart
Her dress made of porcelain,
but she is not

Her dress is white,
her shoes are green
She's the most beautiful
That they have seen

She's strong, she's smart with a golden heart
Her dress made of porcelain,
but she is not

They call her fragile,
they call her weak,
Only 'cause
she dresses chic

But she's strong, she's smart with a golden heart
Her dress made of porcelain,
but she is not

✨🎶🎵🎶✨