chapter 1

"When you're done, go and do the laundry."

"Yes, Step-Mother," I replied, scrubbing the oven tray I made dinner in. After that, I had to finish doing laundry and iron everyone's clothes to make sure they were ready for tomorrow. I was exhausted already after the whole day's work.

At first, I thought if I did all these chores, then my stepmother would accept me as her own even though I didn't like her at first. But I made the effort because my Dad liked her. And yet, I always thought my dad would never be able to move on from my real mother.

In the memories that I had, I always saw them happy, laughing, and completely in love. But he married her soon after my mother died. I couldn't understand it. Everything turned upside down in my life.

I shook my head, not wanting to think about those things. I couldn't go back in time and relive those moments. I didn't think a lot about Mum either. Just the thought of her passing brought tears to my eyes. The past brought me too much pain and trauma, yet my present wasn't any better, and my future wasn't promising either. I had no idea what to think about. So, all I did was focus on getting any work done at home, and fortunately, there was a lot.

My step-brother goes to study outside of the house. My dad homeschooled me after he married his current wife. She ruled over my father and me. She decided everything I did, from the clothes I wore to how much time I spent in the toilet.

I wasn't allowed to bathe anymore. It was a short shower, which wasn't allowed to be longer than 10 minutes. If I went over time, I would get punished, and everyone was allowed to see that.

At first, I couldn't get used to the limited time, I used to get spanked every other day, and my step-brother and father would watch. It was from the age of 11, even up until now. Before she used to use her hand on my covered bottom and now, she punished me with items: belts, a hairbrush, a wooden spoon, and even her shoe.

It was normal, I guess. That's how children get disciplined. She always said afterwards it was for my good. I didn't know any better. I was just a child and spent all my childhood at home. All my education was done from home, and I only went out for my exams to some test centres nearby. I never really found out my results for them, but my stepmother told me they weren't good and that my Dad was very disappointed in me.

I looked at the time and realised that if I didn't get laundry done in time, I wasn't going to get enough sleep. I finished up the dishes and wiped the counter, and ran to the laundry room, taking out the washing from the dryer. I pulled out the ironing stand and began to iron and neatly pile everyone's clothes separately. It didn't take me too long since this load was smaller than usual. I just hope I didn't miss out on anyone's clothes, but I asked around before turning it on.

When I was done, I placed everything back where it belonged and crept into everyone's rooms, placing their laundry on their tables. I made my way to my room and sat down on the bed, sighing tiredly.

I looked in the mirror across my bed at my reflection. It was a tired girl, with dark circles under her eyes, her skin looked frail and she looked sickly. Did I look like other girls?

Everyone on TV looked great, my Step-Mother had nice and glowy skin. I haven't seen any girls face to face since I never went to school. I didn't know about anything apart from the small premises that I lived in. I never dared to step out as everyone warned me it was too dangerous to be alone.

I didn't bother changing my clothes and lay down, closing my eyes. My stomach growled in silence, and I wrapped my arms around myself. I missed dinner today. It was my fault. I should've finished everything on time. It was the third time this week that I slacked in my work.

I felt nauseous all of a sudden and took deep breaths. It would pass. Usually, I would drink a glass of water, but I didn't want to get out of bed and cause unnecessary noise, which could get me in trouble again.

My alarm went off faster than I wanted it to, but I finished late. I carefully got out of bed and freshened up and made my way to the kitchen and began to prepare breakfast in time for my Dad and then for my stepmother and stepbrother. I drank a couple of glasses of water to subside the hunger that I was feeling.

I mixed egg, bell pepper, and grated cheese into the mixture and seasoned it lightly. I heated the pan on the stove, and just then, my dad walked into the kitchen. He didn't say anything to me, and neither did I. It's just how we were now, and maybe it was because of something that I did. I poured the mixture into the pan and watched it cook before flipping it over. Before it finished cooking, I popped two pieces of bread into the toaster.

When it was finished, I served it on a plate and flicked the kettle on to make his coffee. I was keen on finishing everything on time today so I could have dinner on time. One more day of missing dinner, and I was sure I was going to faint. If I got sick, I would get into trouble. I didn't want that today or any day.

I placed his cup of coffee next to him, and all he gave me was a nod.

I took out a tray for my stepmother since she preferred having breakfast in bed.

I finished my long morning routine and went about dusting the living room and everyone's bedrooms. The only thing I would have to worry about now was making lunch and dinner. I drank more water to settle my empty stomach once again and waited for lunchtime.

"Marah," I heard my stepmother call me. I turned around and looked at her.

"Yes, stepmother?" I replied, placing my glass down to listen to her.

"We have an important guest coming over today." She stated with a strange smile on her face.

I nodded, understanding what she was implying. "I will clean everything again."

"Good. You can have your dinner early and make sure dinner is ready by 7 pm. You're not allowed to come down while the guest is here, understood?" She ordered strictly, narrowing her eyes at me.

I nodded obediently. "Yes,"

"Good."

That's all she said and left me again. I was starving.

But I was allowed to eat early. I could do with a grilled cheese sandwich, easy to make and very filling. I focused on all the other tasks, cleaning the corridor leading up to the living room and wiping the floor with a mop.

Around 4 pm I made my sandwich, took a glass of water and my food into my room and ate it in my room. I savoured every cheesy bite, chewing it slowly and taking my time. It was so tasty. I felt more energised after eating it and finally full. I rubbed my belly, sighing with satisfaction. It was great.

I made dinner just in time for the bell and had already set up the table and popped back into my room. I heard the doorbell ring and a little bit of chattering and that was it.

It had been a long time since there had been a guest in his house. I looked out my window to see a black car parked in our driveway. Maybe it was one of my dad's friends from work. I shrugged and went minded my business, laying down on the bed, deciding to take a nap since I wasn't allowed to do anything else.

♡°•●○___________________________○●•°♡

Here's the first chapter, this will be a very slowly updated book but I'll try to write as much as I can with 2 other books.

Hope you guys get an inside on the MC's life.

Please remember to Vote and Comment your thoughts.

Z.A.B