Chapter 21

Peter - Four years ago

Peter spent far more time planning a day with Althea than he should have.

He anxiously waits in front of the apothecary as Althea locks up the building. She steps outside—double checking to make sure it is, in fact, locked—before stepping up to Peter.

Today she wears tan trousers and a loose red blouse. Peter has learned that she never goes anywhere without a splash of color—something other than her vibrant orange hair.

"So?" she asks, her eyes wide with excitement. "What have you planned?"

"It's a surprise," Peter says, offering his hand.

She takes it.

Though they usually take their time when walking through the streets, Peter finds himself walking faster than normal. Althea doesn't comment on it and stays by his side.

After a decent walk, Althea slows, her eyes wide with curiosity. "Is that a circus tent?"

A grin spreads across Peter's face. "Surprised?"

She doesn't respond and a new twinkle appears in her golden eyes. It nearly makes Peter melt.

He pulls her along until they're standing directly in front of the tent in all its glory. Dozens of waving flags decorate the white tents that tower above Althea and Peter. They can already hear the sounds of the circus emitting from inside, and it sparks excitement in Peter's chest.

"Come on," he says, leading her towards the entrance. He flashes two tickets at the attendant, who parts the tent flaps and lets them inside.

The scene inside is like nothing Peter could have imagined. He had never gone to a circus before—he'd only heard stories from friends and family. When he bought the tickets, he could only hope that it turned out to be everything he wanted.

And right now, it seems like it will be.

Bright colors are everywhere—on people's costumes, on the benches and  wooden partitions that separate different sights, in the very air that Althea and Peter breathe.

"Wow," Althea whispers.

"Have you been to the circus before?" he asks as they walk forward and continue taking in the endless sights.

Althea shakes her head. "Never. I didn't know they were in town."

"Only for a few more days."

A woman on an oddly shaped bicycle rushes in front of them, nearly running into Peter as she does.

"Sorry!" she shouts back at them. "I'm late!"

A laugh escapes from Althea. "Oh this is lovely. Where do we go first?"

That is something Peter hadn't planned. "Wherever you want."

Althea's eyes glazed over the dozens of posters that stuck to every wall. "The tightrope walk."

"Then that is where we'll go."

It doesn't take very long for them to find the elaborate stage meant for large performances. Althea and Peter find an empty space amongst hundreds of other people, all eager to see the circus performers.

"Is this a good surprise?" Peter asks.

"The best." She presses a soft kiss against his cheek. "Thank you."

His face grows hot, just as a loud voice erupts over the crowd.

"Welcome to our circus!" a man says as he steps out onto the stage. "We do hope you enjoy our show, starting with a performance by Madeline Monet!"