Chapter 31

Balendin - Now

I relinquish control of my body to alcohol. The world around me is fuzzy as I sit lazily on a rickety chair. A bottle of rum hangs precariously from my two fingers as I shake my head, forcing myself to get a clear look on the world around me.

There's a woman sitting next to me, I quickly realize. She leans across the table, letting her blouse fall lower on her chest. I avert my eyes, keeping them on the floor.

"Hello?" she asks, snapping her fingers in front of me. "Conscious, are we?"

I wave her away. "I don't think you want this right now, darling."

Her red lips pout. "Oh, but I do," she says. "Please?"

She crawls closer, her entire upper body leaning over the table. Her face is so close I can practically taste the desperation in the air.

I keep a cool gaze towards her and lift a brow.

"You're not drunk are you?" I ask, tilting my head.

She shakes her head. "No. I know what I'm doing."

I lean forward, bringing my face closer to hers. My mouth pulls into a grin, and I see something flicker in her eyes.

She's getting nervous.

If only I could have the same effect on Peter.

"How old are you?" I whisper.

"Old enough," she whispers back. She leans forward, her lips brushing against my cheek. "How old are you?"

"I don't know," I let out with a sigh. "I stopped counting centuries ago." A playful grin tugs at my lips as I take in the girl's reaction. She lets out a soft giggle, clearly taking my truth as a joke.

"You're funny," she says, taking the rum from my hand and placing it on the table.

Then, before I can do or say anything else, her lips collide with mine. Her mouth opens immediately, causing my insides to recoil inside me.

Her lips are soft and taste nothing of alcohol, to my relief. It makes me feel ever so better about kissing her back, my hands on her shoulders as she slides off the table and into my lap.

When my eyes close, the image of her disappears. All I feel are her lips on mine and the feeling of her body fitting against my form.

Suddenly, I feel dizzy, as if the world around me is spinning. When it comes to a screeching halt, the lips on mine aren't the same. They're hungrier.

"Vincent."

My eyes fly open. I would rip myself away if this woman wasn't straddling me.

Her eyes flicker open, a frown appearing on her lips. "What's wrong?"

I go to stand without warning and she practically topples off me.

"Excuse you," she says, quickly retreating away from me.

My chest is heaving as I wipe my lips.

He entered my mind so quickly I couldn't stop it. It was his lips I was kissing. His body that was so close to mine, and something inside me begged him to come closer.

I suck in a breath, standing.

I need to get out of here.

✧ ✧ ✧

I'm back at Madeline's home where I can sit above the city and surrender myself to the stars. They comfort me tonight, telling me things no human ever could. When I speak, they listen and glint in response.