Chapter 24

Peter - Three years ago

Life seemed to move impossibly fast after Peter met Althea. He didn't drag himself through every day—he impatiently waited for the sunrise every morning just so he could have breakfast with her.

It didn't feel like a year. It barely felt like a moment.

Althea spent most of her time teaching Peter the ways of plants—how to heal cuts faster, how to treat burns, how to cure an incessant headache. But she also taught him how to accept parts of himself he wanted to hide.

Peter held up his promise as well. Whenever someone gave him the slightest indication of harming Althea, he would casually place himself in the way of trouble.

No one dared to touch her or the apothecary that year.

Now—after far too long, according to Althea—Peter is bringing Althea to meet one of his closest friends.

"His name is William, right?" Althea asks as Peter and her continue down the street.

"Yes," he says. "Always has been."

"Has anyone ever called him Will? Bill? Billy?"

Peter smiles. "Oh, I'm sure he would love it if you called him Billy," he says sarcastically.

"Isn't he bringing his sister as well?"

"Yes."

"Elizabeth?"

"Good memory."

"Does William have anyone special?" Althea asks.

Peter never minded her questions. If anything, it makes him love her even more.

He nods. "Anna. They've been in love ever since I met him."

"Do you think I could meet her one day?"

"I think William would appreciate it, since..." Peter drifts off, unsure how to continue.

"What's the matter?"

"Anna is sick. The doctors aren't sure how long she has left."

"Oh," Althea says. "I'm so sorry."

"None of us have lost hope quite yet. We're waiting for the right treatment to come around."

"I'm glad to hear you're optimistic. Hope can take us far."

Peter smiles at that.

He also doesn't realize they've arrived until a loud shout makes its way through the air. His eyes fall onto a girl running towards him. He barely has time to say her name before she slams into him, wrapping her short arms around his abdomen.

"Peter!" she yells, her voice even higher than it was the last time he saw her.

"Aw, hello, Elizabeth," Peter says, hugging her back.

Althea waits beside them. When Elizabeth peels away from Peter, Althea steps forward, offering her hand.

"Hello there," she says with a smile. "I'm Althea. I love your dress."

Something lights up in Elizabeth's eyes and she looks down at her outfit. "Why thank you. And I didn't know Peter had a girlfriend. Nice to meet you." The two girls shake hands while Peter stands still, unable to take his eyes away from the floor as his face burns with embarrassment.

"That's me," Althea says with her signature smile.

"Will is at the table," Elizabeth says. "This way."

She starts towards the restaurant, leaving Peter and Althea to quickly follow behind.

"I thought you said everyone called him William," Althea says.