Chapter 32

Balendin - Now

It's getting more and more difficult to hold my ground against his gaze, but the tension in the air loosens when he offers me a small smile. He gestures for me to join him, and after a moment's hesitation, I make my way across the crowded floor.

"Vincent," Peter says. "I'm glad you could make it."

For a moment, I think he's going to hug me, but he stands still, smiling. I manage to smile back.

"Thank you for the invitation," I say. "This is a beautiful reception. I hope the ceremony went well?"

"Indeed." He looks around for a moment before locking eyes with something. He outstretches his hand and points to a man and woman standing in the opposite corner. "That's the bride and groom. William and Anna."

My eyes find them, but the bride is who catches my eye.

I've seen this woman before.

The memories come flooding back. I know this woman because I've taken her form before. She was the sickly woman I met years ago—the one whose soul I nearly took for my own.

The realization steals the air from my lungs.

I could have prevented all of this from happening. I could have taken her life and ridden her of this earth.

"Are you all right?" Peter asks. His hand brushes against my shoulder and I instinctively recoil.

"I'm fine," I say, practically snapping the word. "Today's been a long day."

Peter is quiet for a moment, nodding. "I am glad you came, Vincent," he says, his voice soft and barely audible over the music. "And I'm really grateful to have met you."

I roll my eyes to disguise my discomfort. "I'm sure you meet men like me all the time."

He smiles, shaking his head. "Never like you. It's quite annoying, really."

I scoff.

"Come," he says, "let's be social, shall we?"

We make our way through the crowd, stopping occasionally so Peter can introduce me to others. I meet childhood friends and other acquaintances who all say it's a pleasure to meet me. Distracting myself by meeting others is surprisingly effective, up until the noises around us grow in volume and I can barely hear Peter when he tries to talk to me.

"It's kind of loud in here," Peter says, his voice rising to be heard over the music and conversation. "Would you care to join me somewhere quieter?"

I clutch my flute of champagne tighter against my chest before placing the glass down on a nearby table. "Of course." I'm surprised my voice isn't shaking.

He gestures for me to follow him as he starts walking. I glance around at other people, worried that their gazes will follow us as we depart, but everyone is so engulfed in their own worlds that no one even notices us slipping away.

Peter takes me back up the hill, away from the party sounds, and towards an empty field of lush grass. He pauses, looking up at the sky and the stars twinkling to life above us.

He sucks in a long breath and lets it out with a sigh. I keep my gaze forward, back towards the reception, trying to ignore the fact that Peter is standing so close to me.

"Why did you agree to join me?" Peter asks after a moment.

"What?" I ask, looking at him.

He looks away from the sky and at me. "When I first asked you, I really thought that you would say no."