Chapter 4

Acornpaw almost leaped out of the tree in shock as the ShadowClan she-cat popped up beside her. "AAAAAAAA" he yowled. "Shut up," the ShadowClan she-cat hissed. "Do you want every cat in the Clans to hear you?!"

"Um, no. I won't be quiet, actually," he retorted. A smile played on her lips. "RiverClan is getting smashed out there," she whispered. "I... don't want to be a part of it." 

Acornpaw paused. He knew something this she-cat didn't. "Can I trust you with something you cannot tell your Clan?" he asked. She looked at him. "Of course. I can keep secrets. But first, introductions. I'm Rosepaw," she mewed. "I'm Acornpaw," he mewed back.

Rosepaw looked at him expectantly, pricking her ears. "Spill the news." 

"There are... more RiverClan cats on patrol. At least one patrol more is still out there. So... we have a backup plan.". She gasped. "No way! So ShadowClan only overpowered you because you are short of warriors!" He smiled. "Yes. Now let's get out of here. It's quite cramped."

                                                                                               ~

"I've always wondered what RiverClan territory looked like." Rosepaw wondered. Acponpaw did not reply. They were crouched behind a fern, and he was busy watching the battle. As he watched, his sister Aspenpaw pushed another brown and white tabby apprentice into the river. She struggled, but Aspenpaw sliced her claws across her pelt. 

"Oooo, looks like Ivypaw got what she deserved," Rosepaw sniggered. "You aren't angry that she was defeated?" Acornpaw said, surprised. "She's ruthless," Rosepaw said. "Way too hardcore."

They watched for some more time, and soon they saw fresh RiverClan warriors running into camp. One of them carried a reddish-pink apprentice right off her paws, and the others targeted Timberlog and Brackenstar. Another ShadowClan cat tried to help Timberlog but was slashed by another warrior.

"RiverClan is winning!" Acornpaw gasped. He saw Rosepaw looking at him uncomfortably. "Um, that's great and all, but my Clan is losing, so I'd better go." As she walked out, she slipped and fell into the river. "Rosepaw! Are you okay?" Acornpaw mewed, concerned. Rosepaw looked like she was having the time of her life. "Woohoo! This is so fun!" She splashed around and veered into a smaller, fast-flowing stream. 

"No! Rosepaw! That stream is dangerous!" Acornpaw yowled. It was so fast flowing that cats couldn't even fish in it! They had once lost an adventurous kit that had wandered away from camp and into the stream. Hearing his mew, Rosepaw yowled in fear and tried to fight the current dragging her under. However, it was too powerful. Acornpaw watched as she was sucked underwater.

 No! he thought. I will not let Rosepaw die!  Even though they had just met, Acornpaw liked her. She was fun and fierce and... well, quite pretty. But he couldn't go in to rescue her.

Suddenly, his instincts took over. He concentrated, and she felt the water connect to him. A gentle wave lifted Rosepaw out of the stream. She looked up at him as it washed her onto the shore. "D-did you see that?" she mewed shakily. "I... think I did it," Acornpaw said in disbelief. "No way," she mewed in awe. "We are so talking about this." "N-now? I think the battle is over, won by RiverClan of course," he added smugly. "No, not now, mouse brain. In a quarter moon. At moonhigh. At the border." she replied, ignoring his smug comment.

He blinked. "Wait, seriously!?" he mewed. She was already walking away. "I'll be there! And if you are not, I'll spill your secrets to ShadowClan!" She ran towards her patrol, the cats in it bloody and furious.

He blinked. It was only a meetup, and the Clan will be sleeping... why not? He tried to convince himself that they would probably never speak again after the meeting, but as he walked away his paws felt as light as air and his head was full of stars.

A/N ~ Not many people are reading this, so a HUGE thanks to the people that are. Shoutout to

Dusklights

_ilovebooks_1e