Chapter 15

"Redfur!"

Redfur rolled around and groaned.

"REDFUR!!"

He shot up in his nest. "Huuh?" Wavesplash was leaning over him.

"Get up you crusty musty dusty stinky crappy slappy-"

"O StarClan, save me from these incredibly scarring insults," Redpaw hissed sarcastically. "Hey!" Wavespash mewed. "Sarcasm is MY thing!"

Seedfurl poked her head in the warriors den. "Is Wavesplash harassing you?" she mewed worriedly. Redpaw flushed, "N-no. She's just being annoying."

"Don't be annoying," Seedfurl chided. "Anyway, Silkwing and Lichendust want to speak to us."

"WE HAVE BEEN SUMMONED!" Wavesaplsh called, hopping around the den. Mossfeather lifted her head sleepily from a nearby nest. "Wavesplash," she mewed, her pretty fluffy fur billowing around her. "Shut up right now." Redfur snickered at Wavesplash's surprised expression. "Sorry!" Seedfurl called. "Let's head out now."

Silkwing and Lichendust were waiting outside. "Took you long enough," she mewed, amused. The pretty young she-cat looked particularly angelic today. Her fur ripplied in the wind and the white, creamy flower twined on her ear glittered in the bright sunlight. Lichendust, on the other hand, looked tired, his pelt was ungroomed and he had dark circles under his eyes. He noticed them staring and said, "I was out with Oakthorn chasing away a fox. The stubborn pile of dung refused to leave, and we were there the whole night."

Silkwing gestured to them with her flowing tail. "I want you, new, capable warriors to come with me to WindClan."

"Woahhh, three of us?" Wavesplash breathed.

"WindClan has been hostile lately, so better safe than sorry." Lichendust said.

"Of course we'll go!" Redfur said. "Right?" The two she-cats nodded.

They set out to go to WindClan. As they walked, Seedfurl and Redfur lagged behind.

"What's your greatest dream?" Seedfurl asked shyly. "I want to be deputy," Redfur said firmly. He had also wanted to lead ThunderClan, ever since he was a tiny kit.

"That's... ambitious," she mewed. "But I'm sure you'd be a great deputy!" Redfur turned his muzzle away so she wouldn't see his blush.

"T-thanks. What about you?" Seedpaw looked at him.

"I really want to raise kits. I'm not sure about the whole mate part, but I just adore kits," she said, ducking her muzzle shyly.

"I'm sure you would be a great mother!" he said happily.

They reached the border and waited for a patrol. Soon, a hunting patrol walked past. Silkwing stopped them and discussed something with the patrol leader. The cats escorted them to the camp, shooting them hostile looks. Wavesplash hissed at the nearest warrior, who just flicked her ear, annoyed.

As they reached the camp, the WindClan leader, Quailstar, leapt down from the rock and sniffed. "Hm," she said. "Silkwing, why are you here?" Silkwing dipped her head.

"I just came for some herbs. One of our queens is close to kitting, and we have run out of marigold. The little left in our territory needs time to grow, so that there will be plenty later on." Silkwing had a calm, honey-smooth way of speaking that put any cat at ease. "I came here, as you are the closest, and I also hoped to smoothen out tensions." She ducked her head once more.

Quailstar looked more relaxed now. "Of course, Silkwing." She beckoned to Appleleap, and she ran into her den. A moment later, her apprentice returned with a clump of marigold. Appleleap poked her head out. "Silkwing!" she said. "If you need this much marigold, do you suspect blood while kitting?" Silkwing hesitated, then nodded. Redfur looked at her, surprised. No wonder this visit was so rushed!