Chapter 3: Cupcakes

There are friends, and there is family and there are friends who become family

                                      - Unknown

As I made my way to the cashier, I noticed her forced smile as she said, "That would be $34

As I made my way to the cashier, I noticed her forced smile as she said, "That would be $34.95, miss." I handed over the cash and gathered all my purchases.

Earlier, my dad had given me forty dollars and instructed me to buy some food. He wanted me to bring back the receipt and the change. I had managed to save a few dollars and bought ingredients for cupcakes. Along with that, I got some biscuits and a drink for later. I used the remaining money to purchase ointment for my bruises and painkillers to ease the pain.

Now, with only three dollars left, I collected the bags filled with food for my dad. The biscuit and juice are likely the only thing I will be eating for days, so I wanted to save them as best as I could.

It was already 10 am, and by this time, my dad had already left for work. You might wonder why I didn't just escape. Well, he's a cop, and he has eyes all over town. I once tried to escape, but one of his friends spotted me walking with a sports bag and immediately called him. My father reached me before I could get away, and upon my return, the abuse only intensified. I remember thinking that day would be my last.

"Excuse me, miss?" someone interrupted my thoughts. I looked beside me and saw an old man sitting on the ground. His unkempt hair and dirty clothes hinted at a difficult life. He held a cup with a few coins inside.

"Yes?" I responded, placing my bags on the ground. "Do you have a dollar to spare?"

I reached into my wallet and gave him the remaining three dollars. "That's all I have left, sir," I said, and he eagerly accepted the money. "Thank you, and may God bless you, miss," he said gratefully. I waved him goodbye and picked up my bags.

Indeed, my dad had already left when I arrived home. I stored the food in the kitchen cabinet and the rest in the fridge. I hid the small pack of cookies and the juice box in my room, knowing they would be my sole comfort for the days to come.

I gathered all the cupcake ingredients and began baking. After an hour, my alarm went off, signaling that the cupcakes were done. I decorated them and packed them neatly in a plastic container.

I meticulously cleaned the entire kitchen, erasing any trace of my baking endeavor. I wasn't allowed to use electricity for my own enjoyment, so it was crucial to leave no evidence behind. Once satisfied, I opened a window to let the sweet aroma disappear.

It was already 11:30 am, and Nic had mentioned he would pick me up around 12-ish. He offered to bring me the first day, but I declined. However, he insisted.

I got myself ready, putting on my coat and grabbing my purse, making sure not to forget the box of cupcakes from the kitchen counter.

The snow had melted, and I sat on the porch, patiently waiting for Nic. Ten minutes later, his fancy car pulled up in front of my house.