Chapter 52: Breakdowns

The moon cast a gentle glow through the window, illuminating the room in a soft, silver light. Stars twinkled in the darkness outside, while the rustling of trees whispered secrets to the night.

With a heavy sigh, I admitted to myself that sleep would once again elude me. I lay still beside Alexandro, careful not to disturb his peaceful slumber. 

For days now, my nights have been plagued by nightmares—blood, bodies, and the chilling echo of gunshots. Jack's sinister grin lingered in my mind, every time I closed my eyes.

Watching Alexandro sleep, his breathing steady and calm, I hesitated to burden him with my troubles. He had already done so much for me, and I didn't want to add to his worries.

 So, I remained silent, pretending to sleep while I listened to the comforting rhythm of his snores.

As the first light of dawn painted the sky, I could not stay still any longer. Slowly, I slipped out of Alexandro's arms, careful not to wake him up. Placing a pillow where my body used to lie, I made my way to the bathroom.

In the dim light, my reflection stared back at me from the mirror. I looked tired, the scars on my face had already faded but they were replaced by dark circles under my eyes.

 With a sigh, I shed my old clothes and stepped into the warm embrace of the shower, hoping to wash away the remnants of my nightmares.

I breathed in and out deeply before turning on the shower I made sure not to get my head on the shower just long enough to wash my face. 

Having my head underwater felt suffocating and flooded me with memories of Jack shoving my head into the tub.

After a few minutes, I stepped out of the water wearing a new pair of underwear and the clothes I picked out. 

Exiting the bathroom, a small smile tugged at my lips as I observed Alexandro snuggled to the pillow, still lost in peaceful slumber.

Leaving the room behind, I went to the kitchen, to make breakfast. With a knife in hand, I started slicing an apple, popping some slices in my mouth.

 I reached for my air pods and queued up a playlist on Spotify, softly humming to the song

Cracking eggs into a bowl, I added a splash of milk and a pinch of salt before pouring the mixture into a hot pan. As the eggs sizzled and cooked, I munched in some apple slices, my movements accompanied by a soft hum.

Lost in the rhythm of cooking and music, I was taken by surprise when someone grabbed me from behind. Instinctively, I tightened my grip on the knife, ready to defend myself.