Chapter 53: Perfect

His birthday is tomorrow?!

"Baby," he calls out as he enters the room. I quickly shut off my phone, trying to appear nonchalant despite the small panic attack brewing inside me.

With everything happening lately, I completely forgot about his birthday, which fills me with guilt.

He raises an eyebrow as he observes me, a smirk playing on his lips. "What were you doing?" he drawls out, his eyes flicking to my phone.

"Nothing," I reply hastily, attempting to divert his attention.

He eyes my phone suspiciously and then looks back at me. I meet his gaze, trying to remain composed. But before I know it, I grab the phone and dart out of the room, with him hot on my heels.

We laugh as he playfully chases me, though I know he's not putting in much effort.

He catches up to me and scoops me into his arms, planting a kiss on my lips before setting me down gently. He doesn't bother to take the phone, instead smoothing down my hair and kissing me again.

"I need to go back to work," he says, a hint of sadness in his voice. I chuckle at his pouty expression, standing on my tiptoes to kiss him once more.

He groans and wraps an arm around my waist, his head resting on my shoulder as I run my fingers through his hair.

"I'm going to miss you," I murmur, spotting a smile tugging at his lips.

He looks up immediately. "You're not going to ask me to stay?" he teases, feigning sadness.

"You need to go. It's been weeks since you've been to work, and your men need to know you're not dead. What if they think I'm telling you not to go to work?" I reply, a hint of worry creeping into my voice.

He rolls his eyes. "They wouldn't dare."

"By the way, my dad, Lucas, and Dion are coming over later," I add, buttoning the rest of his shirt. 

"Okay," he says.

"I love you," I tell him just as he's about to step out of the door. He turns around, a huge smile spreading across his face.

He looks so beautiful when he smiles like that.

"I love you too, amore," he says, making me chuckle. "Now go before you decide to stay," he adds playfully, making a move as if to pick me up.

He huffs in mock frustration but leans down to plant a long kiss on my head before finally exiting the house. I watch through the window as he drives off, feeling a mix of love and longing.

I grab my phone and dial Nic's number. After two rings, he picks up. "Hey Ari," he greets me excitedly. "What's up?"

"Hi, I have a favor to ask," I say, hearing Hazel's voice in the background.