One

ANASTASIA HALL

SEPTEMBER 2, 2020

❦   ❦   ❦

First day of classes.

The fall semester begins today, and I can barely contain my excitement as I slip on my pointed black heels. I take in a deep breath, the smell of coffee filling my nose.

It's my first day working as a teaching assistant at New York University, and suffice to say, I'm nervous as hell. This is all I've ever wanted, and I'm terrified that I'm going to mess it up somehow.

I've been assigned to an introductory literature class, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Unfortunately, I haven't met the professor I'll be working with yet, which doesn't help my nerves.

I hope they like me.

I go to the bathroom to check my makeup one last time before I head out. I decided to curl my hair for my first day, the long auburn waves spilling over my shoulders, and did just a bit of light makeup. I put on one more layer of my dusty pink lipstick, and rub my lips together gently to blend it in.

I chose to wear a black pantsuit with a bright pink blouse, and the longer I stare at it, the more I question my decision. I was going for "business bitch," but is it too much?

I sigh and shake my head. "You don't have time to change," I huff to myself, straightening my jacket one last time.

I grab my travel mug, filling it with coffee and adding just a touch of oat milk, and throw my brown messenger bag over my shoulder.

Phone? Keys? Wallet? Check.

I silently repeat my daily mantra so I don't forget anything before walking out the door.

❦   ❦   ❦

"You can do this," I whisper to myself as I get out of my car, my anxiety spiking now that I'm on campus.

I've never really taught before. I volunteered in a few classes when I was in college, and did some tutoring, but nothing on this level. Granted, I'm not the professor, but I will be helping with the lesson plans and teaching here and there. Luckily, the professor will be there to help every step of the way.

I stare up at the tall, red-brick building before stepping inside, taking in the size of it. It's intimidating, to say the least.

Room 210; I need to find room 210.

I walk up the long staircase to the second floor, feeling out of breath when I finally reach the top. Jesus, I really need to get in shape if I'm going to be walking up these ungodly stairs every other day.

204, 206, 208...

"210!" I squeal quietly, a huge smile plastered on my face as I clap my hands together. I look around the hallway to check if anyone saw my embarrassing display of excitement, sighing in relief when I see no one around.

My hand grips the cold, bronze door handle, my fingers trembling slightly. I take in a shaky breath before pulling the door open to an empty room.

I furrow my brows, stepping into the large classroom and looking around. I thought for sure the professor would be here already.

The room is huge, much bigger than I thought it would be. The front of the room looks more like a stage, with the desk and white board being elevated on a riser, and there's hundreds of chairs facing it. The whole thing looks like an amphitheater.

I step onto the riser, and walk over to the large mahogany desk, placing my bag and coffee down.

This is it. I'm really here.

I feel my stomach flutter with excitement, and I can't help but smile widely at the feeling. I feel like a kid in a candy store, which is weird, seeing as though I'm at work. That's not a comparison you hear very often.

I feel my phone buzz in my jacket pocket, and pull it out to see a text from Johnathan.

Good luck today babe xx

My cheeks heat up, and I bite my bottom lip to hold back my smile before typing out my response.

Thank you baby! I'll call you after, love you x

"Anastasia?" I hear a deep voice say my name just as I hit send, and I turn my head, my jaw dropping slightly when I see who it is.

"H-Harry?" I whisper, my eyes widening. I blink a few times to make sure I'm not going crazy.

"What are you doing here?" He asks with furrowed brows, closing the door behind him as he takes a few steps towards me. "Are you in my class?"

"Your class?" I question, tilting my head to the side. "No, I- wait, are you the professor?"

He chuckles, his dimples popping out as a smile grows across his face. He runs his hand through his short brown curls; his hair used to be so long. He's wearing a pair of brown, pleated pants, with a mustard-yellow sweater underneath a dark green peacoat.

He looks so... grown up.

"I am," he nods, slipping his hands into his pant's pockets.

"Oh... I guess I'm your teaching assistant, then," I smile shyly, fiddling with the rose quartz ring on my right index finger.

His eyes widen as he takes in what I said, shifting nervously on his feet. He wets his lips with his tongue before clearing his throat.

"I didn't realize I would be getting a teaching assistant this semester," he states, pursing his lips.

"I- they didn't tell you?" I ask, chewing on the inside of my cheek; I feel my heart rate pick up.

Am I in the wrong class?

He shakes his head, standing awkwardly just a few feet away from me. It seems as if we're both too nervous to move.

"This is Introduction to the Study of Literature, right?" I grab my bag, and open it to dig through the contents, looking for the paper that has my assignment on it.

I pull it out and read over it again.

Miss Anastasia Hall:

You have been assigned to ENGL-UA 101 Introduction to the Study of Literature for the '20-'21 school year. This will be located in the Department of English, room 210, at 244 Greene St., New York, NY 10003. Please report to the professor overseeing you on September 2, 2020, at 9 am.

Sincerely,
Fletcher Gray, EdD
Dean of New York University

I hold out the paper to show him, and he takes a moment to read each line. When he's finished, he hums and nods his head.

"I guess you are my teaching assistant this year."

~~~~~

Hi friends! I hope you like the first two parts! Thank you so much for all the love surrounding Desirous, it means so much to me! I'm so excited to finally be able to share it with you! I love you all <3