Two

ANASTASIA HALL

SEPTEMBER 2, 2020

❦   ❦   ❦

"How- how have you been?" I ask hesitantly as Harry sets his things on the desk.

"I've been good, really good," he nods, smiling at me warmly. "How are you?"

"I'm good," I respond, pulling my bottom lip between my teeth. "I'm really excited to be here. I can't believe I'm your teaching assistant, this is crazy."

He chuckles softly, his dimples making an appearance as he meets my eyes. "I know, small world."

I stay silent as he pulls a few different books, and a stack of paper out of his bag.

"What are these?" I wonder, picking up one of the papers.

"The syllabus," he answers. "That's what we'll be going over today."

I hum in response, reading each line carefully.

ENGL-UA 101
Introduction to the Study of Literature

Instructor Information
Harry Styles, EdD
Office Hours: Mon-Fri any time by appt., Office 310

Course Information
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - 10:00-11:30 am
Location: Room 210

Course Overview and Goals
Designed for English majors and minors, this course introduces students to the full range of possibilities inherent in literary study. Among our questions: How are 'literary' reading and writing different from other kinds of reading and writing? What is useful or vital about such practices? In addition to canonical literature, what other subjects of study do students and scholars of literature address?
The course is split into three "units", focusing on poetry, drama, and prose fiction. The class will be largely discussion-based, with great emphasis placed on participation and student preparedness.

Course Requirements
1. Essay 1, "Poetry and Place": 1,300-1,800 words (4-5 pages), 15% of final grade
2. Essay 2, Drama and/or Narrative: 1,500-2,000 words (5-6 pages), 20% of final grade
3. Research Paper: 1,800-2,200 words (6-7 pages), 35% of final grade
4. Blog Posts: 500-1,000 words each, 15% of final grade
5. Participation: Arriving on time, being well-prepared, workshop engagement, and helping to create valuable discussion, 15% of final grade

Course Materials
1. I and You by Lauren Gunderson
2. As You Like It by William Shakespeare
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
4. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

"Wow," I laugh, setting the paper back onto the stack. "You got your doctorate?"

"I did," he nods softly with a chuckle.

"That's incredible," I smile. My heart warms at how much he's accomplished since I saw him last. "All of this is incredible."

Harry looks at me with a quizzical expression on his face, tilting his head to the side. "What do you mean?" He smirks.

"I just think it's cool that you did all of that," I say, motioning to the syllabus. "It feels surreal to be here, teaching with you."

His face drops slightly, pursing his lips and glancing down at the course materials. I furrow my brows at his reaction, bringing my fingers up to cover my mouth softly.

Did I say something wrong?

"Right, yeah," he stammers, keeping his head down. "It's been a long time, Anastasia."