Nine

ANASTASIA HALL

SEPTEMBER 6, 2020

❦ ❦ ❦

"God, I've missed you, Ana," Harry breathes, his arm placed behind my back while his opposite hand gently grasps mine.

The lights in the unfamiliar room are dim, and everything around us blurs together as we sway back and forth to the soft music playing. All of my focus is on Harry as my right hand laces in his hair, my fingers playing with his silky curls.

"I missed you so much," I sigh. "I thought about you every day, H."

A small smile forms on his lips as his eyes flick back and forth between mine, his intense gaze causing my cheeks to heat up; he chuckles softly at my reaction.

"I still can't believe we've found each other," he whispers, his stare shifting briefly to my lips. "Please don't leave me again."

I shake my head as my hand cups the back of his neck. "Never," I promise.

The two of us fall silent for a few moments, our faces just inches apart as the sound of my heavy heartbeat thumps loudly in my ears.

Harry smirks down at me as he drops my hand to place his gently against my cheek, taking a deep breath before leaning towards me. His lips brush against mine, the tickling sensation causing a chill to run down my spine.

"Oh, Ana," he says quietly, barely loud enough for me to hear. "You don't know what you do to me."

I gasp loudly as I shoot up in bed, my chest heaving up and down as my groggy mind slowly adjusts to my surroundings. I look around my room, and my mouth goes dry when I see Johnathan laying next to me, sleeping soundly. A disappointed pit forms in my stomach as I purse my lips, and bring my knuckles up to rub the sleep out of my eyes, attempting to process my strange dream.

Of course, Harry appears in my dreams every once in awhile, he was a very big part of my life for years, but this one was different; this one felt different. I just wish I could name that feeling.

The mind is such a crazy thing, it can come up with anything while you're sleeping, including something as absurd as kissing your old best friend. I mean, I would be lying if I said it's never crossed my mind, especially after the night of graduation, but it's always just a fleeting thought. I'm with Johnathan, and Harry was my best friend. It could never happen.

Johnathan stirs slightly, and I freeze, glancing down at him hesitantly. When I see that he's still asleep, I let out a sigh of relief. I gently peel the dark green comforter off of me, and carefully push myself up and out of bed. I tiptoe as quietly as I can towards the bathroom, ensuring I don't bother him. After last night, pissing him off by waking him up is the last thing I want to do.

I slowly close the door, praying silently that the old hinges don't squeak, and lock it behind me before I step in front of the mirror. My breath catches in my throat when I see my reflection; across my left cheek is a purple bruise from Johnathan hitting me across the face last night.

I bring my fingers up to gently trace the injury, my eyes welling up with tears the more I stare at it. The left side of my face is swollen from the impact, and I can faintly see the outlines of Johnathan's fingers. He must have hit me a lot harder than I thought for it to still look that defined. There's no way in hell I'll be able to go to work tomorrow, not when I look like this.

I shake my head, a few tears spilling over my lash line to drip down my cheeks. I bring the pads of my fingers up to wipe them away, wincing slightly when I apply pressure on the bruise.