01: goodbye ohio

chapter one: goodbye ohio

tw: blood, mentions of weapons, and killing

Elle does not want to be here, stuck in a small theater with two groups of intelligent and intimidating people that she had worked closely with. She does not want to be here knowing she has lied to every single person that surrounds her and she must face everyone.

She can feel everyone's stares and hear their whispers as they are all confused about what is going on. Everyone, except for three Russian assassins, knew that Elle Greenaway is her chosen name and Carmen Babanin is her given name, who everyone is going to find out about, Dreykov.

There is a feeling of betrayal that began to spread around the theater. It is the feeling no one could control even after understanding that Elle must have had a reason not to expose her past to everyone who showed her love to the best of their abilities. They all could only imagine what Elle had to go through and the trauma she must have faced to change her entire persona to receive a more peaceful life compared to the one she was sold into.

"I will ask the question no one has the balls to ask," Tony speaks up, causing the entire theater to become silent. "Were you ever going to tell us that your name is not Elle?"

Elle could not help looking up at Tony, to see the painful look all over his face when he was looking at her. She couldn't look him in the eyes without feeling her heart race faster than it already was.

She could not look anyone in the eyes, not even the ones who understood her past more than the others. She felt more embarrassed about the fact her past is about to come to light to every person she ever loved or even cared for just a little.

"We could talk about this later?" Derek asks, shooting an awkward grin at Elle.

Elle turns her attention back to the big screen, her cheeks being sucked in an attempt to keep herself from crying. There is so much she wants to say to the two teams that saved her unknowingly, but there is so much she did not want to show to everyone because if they were going to see parts of her life then she has to too.

Ohio, 1995

The scene opens in the principal's office at Solon Middle School. Thirteen-year-old Carmen Babanin is sitting on one of the uncomfortable chairs in front of Principal Gomez's desk, her rusty black boots tapping on the white shiny ground impatiently.

Her hair was in a low ponytail, her bangs being bright red like her younger sister's natural hair. She is not the type to wear heavy makeup to make herself feel older than she was (not that she needed makeup to make her feel older because of her profession). Her eyes kept flickering between the clock and the old stickers that had almost disintegrated within the cracks of the wood.

Carmen wants to get home before five, so she can get home before the father she never wanted and have some peace in herself. She could feel the knots in her stomach grow larger as the time passed by and her patience for the principal to meet her was wearing thin.