- 1 -

I ran into the governor's office as fast as I could in heels. I tried my best to flatten down my pencil skirt and ran a hand through my wavy brown hair to try to tame the frizz. I was definitely late. Lucky for me, the governor also seemed to be late as I was directed to the waiting area. As I made my way towards the chairs, I saw a man lounging on the couch. He had dark hair and was dressed sharply in slacks and a blue dress shirt that made his blue eyes pop when he glanced up at me. He was also...reading a magazine titled "Women's Day." I couldn't help it; I let a smirk take over my face as I sat in the chair opposite him. The man caught my slight smile and flushed as he laughed awkwardly before saying, "I've obviously been here a while. I'm Steve McGarrett." He stood up and held out his hand.

"Jessica Anderson." I grinned as he shook my hand. He was taller than I expected and he had a firm grip. As I made myself comfortable, I offered him the sports section of the newspaper I pulled out of my bag, which he gladly took. I leaned back and tried to focus on my paper, but I couldn't help but glance up at the attractive man across from me. I blushed slightly as he made eye contact with me over the top of his section of the paper. This is embarrassing, Jess. Get a hold of yourself; this isn't the first time you've seen a hot guy. 

"Commander McGarrett. Detective Anderson. The Governor will see you now."

I jumped as the secretary pulled me out of my thoughts. "Together?" I asked, seeing my puzzled expression mirrored on Steve's face. 

"Yes."

We both walked into the governor's office and I took a seat in front of his desk. Steve stayed standing, asking if this meeting had to do with a victim's murder, which the governor denied. He frowned at me slightly, but finally sat down. 

"So, Commander, have you had the chance to meet Detective Anderson from the police force of New York?" 

"Yes, sir. We just met." McGarrett responded.

"Great. I had mentioned how I wanted there to be accountability for your task force and Anderson here is an excellent detective, so I'm sure she will make an incredible addition to 5-O," was the governor's response.

I immediately jumped up as McGarrett and I started speaking at the same time in objection to his statement. "Sir, with all due respect, I flew all the way from New York here at your request. I uprooted my life, because I thought I would be your personal detective, not a babysitter." 

McGarrett immediately stopped talking and looked over at me with an eyebrow raised in an offended look. "Babysitter, huh Anderson?"

"You heard the governor, McGarrett. Because you apparently can't follow rules, I had to abandon everything to move here," I sneered at him.

He opened his mouth to retort, but the governor cut him off. "Enough you two. You are both one of the best at what you do which is why you will make a good team. When you finally realize it. Now go. I'm sure you both have work that needs to be done. And please," he pinched the bridge of his nose, "try to get along. You might actually enjoy each other's company when you both stop being so damn stubborn."

At this dismissal, McGarrett shot out of his chair and basically ran out of the room. I rolled my eyes, as I followed him out. "Hey!" I yelled after him. He was halfway down the hall and I was supposed to be working with him, yet I didn't even know where I was going. "Hello?" Still no response from the man several yards in front of me. "Commander McGarrett!" I screamed at him as we both made it outside the building. McGarrett stopped and seemed to take a deep breath before turning around and walking briskly back toward where I had also stopped. He stepped right in front of me, definitely invading my personal space, as he towered over me. My heart skipped a beat at his proximity. Dang, he was tall. But I knew he was trying to intimidate me so I tilted my chin up defiantly to meet his gaze.

"Listen to me, Anderson. I didn't choose you. We don't need any more help on my team. So if you're going to stay, I expect you to watch yourself. You do exactly as I say, when I say. Do you understand me?" I fumed, silently, trying to get control of myself so I didn't scream in his face. "I said, do you understand me, detective?" He whispered quietly, right in my face, his voice filled with anger. 

"Yes." I spit out. His deep blue eyes held me there for a second and then he turned around, about to walk away. I felt like I could finally take a breath as he stepped away from me. "But you need to understand something too, McGarrett." He faced me again. "You didn't choose me, but you seem to have forgotten that I also didn't ask for this. I have a family and a life back in New York. So if I am forced to be here, I better not feel like you are wasting my time. Do you understand me?"

He simply looked at me, then started to walk away. I stared at his back, outraged. Then he yelled over his shoulder, "You coming? Otherwise, I'd gladly leave you here if you want to try to convince the governor to let you go back to New York."

Such a pity that such good looks have to go to waste on a guy with a personality like his. I thought to myself, but gritting my teeth, I followed him.