- 8 -

Finally, I was getting somewhere. I had a lead, someone who said they possibly had some information on Kaye. He was an old acquaintance of my dad's, named David, who had moved to Hawaii a couple years ago. When he found out I was also on the island, he insisted we meet up. David told me all about how he rents out his guest house on the beach, but he thought it was odd that his most recent renter has been staying there for four weeks. Jenna Kaye said she was leaving for D.C. four weeks ago. 

Right when I was about to ask him for more details, Chin called and told me to get to HQ for another case. I walked in and saw Steve and Danny having an argument in Steve's office. Nothing new there. I opened the door just as Steve walked out of the door with a small duffel bag in his hand. "Hey, what's going on?" I asked, but he was already out of the room. I turned to Danny. "Where is he going?"

Danny sighed. "He's just going to help a friend, he'll be back in a couple of days."

I raised an eyebrow. "You don't seem too happy about that, Danno."

"Yeah well, I'd be more content if he wasn't going to North Korea."

"North Korea? Are you kidding me? Who the heck needs his help all the way in North Korea?" I asked.

"Jenna Kaye."

My eyes widened and before Danny could say another word, I was sprinting out of the building. I ran all the way to the parking lot just as Steve was throwing his bag into the back of his truck.

"Steve! Steve!" I yelled as I ran over to him.

"Jessica, what's up?" he asked, confused.

"Don't go, Steve. Don't go to North Korea." I panted out.

He just laughed a little. He patted my shoulder and went to walk around the other side of his truck to the driver's side. "Come on, Anderson, I know you'll miss me but I won't be gone long," he joked with a small smile.

Fear gripped at my heart. Jenna had lied to all of us. There was no way anything good was going to come out of Steve flying to North Korea. "Steve, please. Please. I am begging you not to go." I pleaded, with desperation in my voice. Tears had started to gather in the corner of my eyes. I didn't know what to do. I didn't expect anything like this to happen so fast. 

Steve turned around and jogged back over to me, surprised and alarmed to see the tears in my eyes. He put his hands on my shoulders, then shocked me by pulling me into a hug. One of his hands went around my back, while the other held my head to his shoulder as I wrapped my arms around his waist. After a couple minutes of silence, apart from my quiet sniffling, he pulled back from me. His hands slid down my arms to hold on to both of my hands. "Jess, listen. I have to go," he started. I shook my head and went to wipe my tears, but his grip on my hands tightened. "Hey. Jenna is a friend. I would do this for any one of you. I have to do it for her." He let go of my hands and started to turn around back to his truck.

"Steve, wait!" It was now or never. "I have reason to believe that Jenna never actually left this island. Steve, I think she lied to us. You can't trust her."

Steve faced me again. "Jessica, I worked with Jenna for almost a year. She has had our backs countless times. I have worked with you for a little over two months. So forgive me, if I don't rush to believe you without solid evidence." He sighed as another tear ran down my check. He walked over to me again and wiped it away before cradling my face and pressing a single, quick kiss to my forehead. "I'll be back before you even know I'm gone." Then, he was driving away.

I stood in the parking lot, tears running down my face, for several long minutes. Finally, I wiped my tears and started walking back into headquarters. I knew two things. 1) Steve was in danger and I had a lead to follow up on. And 2) he kissed my forehead and I thought that was about the cutest thing that has ever happened to me.