- 10 -

The rest of the afternoon was a blur. We prepared as best as we could and before I knew it, I was standing next to a small plane, handing Joe my badge and gun. Once we got on that plane, we were officially civilians with no resources. Soon, we were joined by three navy seals, and together we boarded the plane.

We landed in South Korea where a truck was waiting for us. Lucky for us, Joe had some connections on this side of the world. We all sat in the back and tried to talk through a plan. We would need something to get us out of the area fast once we got Steve. Once again, Joe said that he knew a guy and took us to a small bar. He went in with Danny while we sat and waited outside.

A little while later, they came out with a shorter man who drove us to a small field, where I saw the tiniest, most sketchy helicopter that has probably ever existed. When I spoke, my voice wavered more than I wanted it to. "Please tell me there is a sturdy, larger helicopter somewhere behind this one?"

The man waved off my obvious concern. "Oh, don't worry, she's reliable."

After a final walk-through the plan, all of us climbed into the helicopter, except for Kono, who was staying behind in South Korea to keep an eye on the cameras. Finally, we took off and I was saying silent prayers that we found Steve simply and quickly. 

When we landed where Kono had directed us, the seals, Joe, Chin, and Danny all got out and ran crouched toward a bunker in the distance. I stayed with the pilot to keep an eye on the boys and get us out of here as soon as possible. Suddenly, I heard Kono's voice through my ear piece. There was a convoy of trucks leaving the bunker now. I immediately got in touch with Danny to relay the message. He said that the bunker was all clear, meaning no sign of Steve.

The pilot looked at me. "We need to slow them down. There's a bridge coming up. See that RPG in the back?" I turned around and nodded as I saw the huge gun. "It's simple to use. Point and shoot." I grabbed it, aimed, and shot. The bridge exploded before my eyes and I let a small triumphant grin cross my face as the trucks turned around. They were heading back to where the rest of our team was. We followed and started to land towards where we saw the trucks stop.

Then, Danny's voice sounded in my ear. "I've got Steve!" I felt a small weight lift off my shoulders. We were so close, now we just have to get out of here. 

We landed in a small clearing as our team came running out of the bushes. I gasped and my heart stopped momentarily as I saw Chin and Danny basically dragging a badly beaten up Steve. Before I knew what I was doing, I was out of the helicopter and running towards them. As I got closer to the three, I noticed just how bad Steve looked. All I wanted to do was throw myself into his arms, but I hesitated once I was a few feet from them. 

Steve looked up at that moment and made eye contact with me. Embarrassingly enough, my eyes filled with tears once again as I took him in. Once they were right in front of me, Steve carefully took his arm off of Chin's shoulders and beckoned to me. "Come here," he said in an exhausted voice. Immediately I enveloped him in my arms, trying to be as careful as possible. Steve's one arm was around my shoulders and his head rested next to mine. He whispered brokenly in my ear, "You were right. I'm so sorry. You were right." 

I pulled back. "Alright, enough of that. It's over now, let's get you home, Commander." I said, full on grinning, as relief washed over me. 

Chin and Danny lifted him into the helicopter and I turned around in the front seat to watch as everyone joked and laughed out of pure relief and joy at having Steve back. I grinned as Chin told Steve that he could thank him by being the best man in his wedding to Malia. Steve's smile was huge. Then his gaze met mine, and his smile softened the slightest bit. The happiness was tangible as we finally made it back to Hawaii.