- 14 -

Steve McGarrett is kissing me. Oh my gooooosh, Steve is kissing me! That was the only thought going through my head as Steve smoothly glided his mouth over mine over and over again. I sighed happily and tilted my head a little bit to the side. Oh my gosh. Steve is kissing me. We're kissing. What are we doing??! Suddenly, I realized the gravity of what we were doing right now. He's my boss, he's my best friend, this is such a bad idea. I pulled back as much as I could and Steve seemed to realize what we were doing too because he froze for a millisecond before finally rolling off of me. He stood up, wiped a hand over his face, then stuck his hand out to help me up. I accepted the hand, but my knees were so weak, I wasn't sure I'd be able to support myself. Wouldn't that be embarrassing. 

He pulled me up but didn't let go of my hand, carefully swiping his thumb back and forth over the bruise from earlier in the night, not meeting my gaze. "Jess..." he finally whispered and slid his eyes up to meet mine. I saw the same turmoil in his face that I felt.

"Steve, we're tired. It's been an emotional day, we just got wrapped up in everything." I said.

He nodded, looking down again. "Yeah. Yeah, you're right. It's late, that's all."

We stood there in silence for a couple of seconds. "Maybe we should put the cookie dough in the fridge and cook them tomorrow? It'd probably be best if we clean up and go to bed since we have to be at work in three hours," I trailed off, letting a quick smile cross my face. 

Steve let out a small laugh and let go of my wrist, "Good idea."

He grabbed a broom and started to sweep while I cleaned off the counters. We joked around as we cleaned up and I sighed gratefully as the awkwardness started to diminish. Once we were done, we headed back upstairs to our respective rooms. As I was about to close my door, I looked over at Steve. "Steve?" He turned to face me. "We're fine, right? I'm just really grateful for our friendship, I don't want anything to change that."

Steve grinned at me from the doorway to his room. "Babe, are you kidding? We're great. Nothing's going to change us. And I just had the most fun night I've had in a long time. Thank you." 

I smiled back and we both said goodnight. I closed my door and got back into bed. Who was I kidding? It's Steve and I, a meaningless kiss isn't going to change anything.

But sleep evaded me as I tried continuously to get that stupid amazing kiss out of my head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must've eventually fallen asleep, because what felt like five minutes later, my alarm went off. I groaned but pulled myself out of the warm bed. I got ready for the day and went downstairs to the kitchen to make something for breakfast. I decided on scrambled eggs and made extra in case Steve wanted some. I was surprised he wasn't awake yet. Minutes later, movement out the window caught my eye and I saw Steve coming out of the ocean from a morning swim. 

Seeing the guy I'm attracted to shirtless not six hours after he kissed me was not the best way to go about acting normal this morning. I found myself unashamedly checking him out through the kitchen window before I snapped myself out of it. Okay Jessica. This is not going to cut it today. Pull it together. 

At that moment, Steve slid open the patio door and shot me a grin. "Hey, you're up! How'd you sleep?"

"Oh, when I finally fell asleep? Just great, thanks." I rolled my eyes at him purposefully busying myself with the eggs to keep myself from staring at him as he towel dried his hair.

"Watch the sass, Anderson, whose idea was it to start making cookies at 3 in the morning?" He teased me. 

I frowned. "For that comment, you don't get any eggs. Or cookies, for that matter, when we do finally bake them."

"Noooo," Steve pouted at me. "I'm sorry, please forgive me." 

I rolled my eyes again as he tried to pull puppy eyes on me. "Go get ready, I'll make you a plate."

"Thanks Jess, you're the best!" He yelled as he ran up the stairs.

I plated our breakfast as Steve came back downstairs in a gray polo and brown cargo pants. We ate quickly and hopped in Steve's truck to drive to HQ. We talked normally in the car and I was so grateful that the kiss didn't seem to affect us at all. I walked through the doors laughing at a stupid joke he made, Steve right behind me, when I stopped short. Danny was leaning against the computer table, arms crossed over his chest, and his foot tapping. 

"Soooo, you two just randomly decided to come into the office together this morning?" he questioned, with a smirk on his face. 

I shook my head and walked towards my office. "Danno, don't even try us this morning. My house was on fire yesterday, Steve offered to let me live with him until I can buy a new one." I summed up.

"What? Oh, babe, I'm so sorry." Danny said, the smirk dropping off his face as he came over and hugged me. Chin and Kono who had just come in, also heard me and stared at us in shock. 

Steve walked over to us as well and addressed all of us. "We'll get it all sorted out though, Jess. They're not sure what started the fire but HPD should be getting in touch with you soon and until then we'll just take it one day at a time."

I nodded and everyone just watched me with pity in their eyes. "So, we got a case or what?" Chin immediately got down to business and summed up the situation to all of us. "Yes! I was not in the mood to do paperwork again today." I cheered, ducking into my office to grab what I needed as everyone chuckled.