- 9 -

Danny immediately ran up to me when I walked back into the building. "What's the matter with you? Why'd you do that? Were you crying?" he asked in a rush. I could tell his stress levels were through the roof with Steve leaving and me running out on him like that.

I sighed. I needed to tell Danny what was going on. If Steve was in trouble, we needed all the help we could get. "Danny, can I be really honest about something?"

Danny put a comforting hand on my arm, "Of course, babe. Come on, let's go sit down." He led me into his office where I sat in front of his desk and put my head down, trying to calm down and figure out how to phrase everything I was thinking.

"Hey, Jess, talk to me. You can tell me anything."

"Okay, Danny. This is going to sound crazy but I need you to trust me a little bit here even though we haven't been working together all that long. Okay?" Danny nodded, tentatively. I took a deep breath and said in a rush, "I don't trust Jenna Kaye and I think Steve is in danger."

Danny raised his eyebrows, but he nodded again slowly. "Okayyyy," he said drawing out the word. "Can I get some details? Why don't you trust her?"

So I launched into how she had lied to me about small things like her love of surfing, which made me ask myself why she would do that, unless she was covering up something bigger. I had been digging for the past two months, found out she was on leave from the CIA, which she had also lied about, and finally, I have a possible lead that could tell me Kaye never actually left the island. "Danny, why would she lie to us? I'm telling you it's a trap, Steve is in danger."

Danny wiped a hand over his face. "Okay. Let's not rush to conclusions. You have a lead, follow it up. We don't know anything yet, so let's not worry and we're going to get some solid evidence before we jump into an insane, super SEAL rescue mission, sound good?"

I nodded, then jumped up. "I'll call you as soon as I'm done talking to my friend."

"You better." Danny yelled after me as I ran out the door.

I drove well over the speed limit to the address of the guest house David had sent me. When I got there, he met me by the front door. "David, I need to ask you about the person who has been renting out your guest house for the past four weeks. Do you have a picture or any documentation?"

David nodded and shuffled back into the house, motioning me to follow him. "Yeah, she just left today, actually. Sweet gal named Jane. Here's a picture of her." He showed me a piece of paper with Jenna Kaye's face smiling up at me. That was all I needed. I grabbed the paper out of his hand and bolted back to the car, yelling a quick 'thanks!' over my shoulder.

As I was speeding back to HQ, I called Chin and Kono so they were aware of the situation. They were out finding one of the suspects for our case, but they agreed to meet us back at HQ in less than 10 minutes. I flew back into the building and knocked on Danny's office door, holding up the paper with Jenna's face so he could see it. He burst out of his office. "Okay, okay." He shoved a hand through his hair. "What to do, what to do," he muttered quietly to himself.

I put a hand on his shoulder. "It's time to organize that insane, super SEAL rescue mission, Danno." We both let out a weak, slightly hysterical laugh. Then, Chin and Kono came running through the doors. 

Danny nodded at us all. "Let's go get our SEAL. Okay, Chin, Kono, contact HPD and hand over our case. Jess, call the governor, see if he will give us any resources. I'm going to find Joe White." With that we all split.

About an hour later, Danny came walking back in with a tall man at his side. I stood up to introduce myself. "Hi, you must be Joe. I'm Jessica, it's nice to meet you."

He shook my hand. "This is the Jessica I've heard so much about," he laughed. "Steve has mentioned you. I'm his commander from when we were in the Navy."

I blushed hard and cleared my throat at his first comment. Then I looked at Danny. "The governor won't give us anything. He actually forbade us from flying into enemy territory."

Chin and Kono came out to join us at that point. Joe looked at us all and said, "Okay. So we're doing this under the radar. I got some friends that will help us, so if you don't want to do this, there is no shame in that. It's a very low probability that all of us make it back." We all looked at each other. I took a deep breath as I realized just how crazy this was. I nodded at Joe. "Alright, let's do this."